fatality in Maldives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the heads up about this thread, BoP.

I just finished reading through some of those links. This does raise a few issues that dive travelers need to consider.

I just dropped a line to the op we will be diving with in the Maldives, asking about their procedures, if there should be such an accident. Both Colleen and I do carry DAN coverage.

When are you there.. I should remember but it is late here now :) You should have a number for DAN Asia Pacific I would think. They respond pretty quickly and John Lipman is pretty forceful when he thinks DCI is involved and a chamber needed....

Soon...

I will pm some info on DAN Asia Pacific.. you should also be able to get info from your DAN provider.

very sad indeed.........so sorry for the families loss.

The story doesn't say how much diving she had been doing.
On a live aboard I would imagine there is a temptation to get your money's worth and over do time and depth.
I am planning my first live aboard for later this year. It is food for thought.

As with most press stories on diving accidents, this article doesn't quite add up. The inference is that she felt ill during a dive and surfaced as a result. Of course, being at depth wouldn't cause DCS symptoms. Surfacing causes DCS symptoms.

BoP started a discussion on what sort of questions we divers might want answered by a 3rd world dive op, before we'd travel half way around the globe and place our lives into their expert hands, far from the high quality medical facilities we are generally used to ....

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bas...-dive-ops.html

What sort of questions would you ask?

In addition to having/knowing about emergency procedures/evacuation plans, it would be advisable for a remote liveaboard to carry many bottles of O2 as well as CPAP (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure) masks and hopefully personnel trained to use them. Many dive boats that travel a ways out should have more than one O2 bottle available. The pressure of these O2 bottles should be checked regularly to ensure they're full prior to dives.

An onboard AED (Automated External Defibrillator) could be very helpful as well.

This quote was in the comment section of the newspaper article:

David K, Buxton, United Kingdom, 4 days ago
I am a qualified diving medic and Oxygen would have killed her even quicker. It is the LAST thing you give to someone with DCS. Even in the UK in the event of diving injury paramedics have had to be stopped from giving oxygen and entonox to patients.

Read more: Melanie Stoddart died after doctors failed to see she had the bends | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

What is he talking about?

This quote was in the comment section of the newspaper article:

David K, Buxton, United Kingdom, 4 days ago
I am a qualified diving medic and Oxygen would have killed her even quicker. It is the LAST thing you give to someone with DCS. Even in the UK in the event of diving injury paramedics have had to be stopped from giving oxygen and entonox to patients.

Read more: Melanie Stoddart died after doctors failed to see she had the bends | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

What is he talking about?

ENTONOX nitrous oxide/oxygen mixture provides the pain relieving properties of nitrous oxide with the benefits of additional oxygen without producing unconsciousness. It is a widely used analgesic for acute, short-term pain relief in a diverse range of clinical situations, from painful procedures to childbirth.

I can understand not using Entonox, but it sounds like he equating it to O2. I really don't need him around if I'm bent, of course it is the internet and you can be whoever you want.

Bob
----------------------------------------
On the Internet you can choose to be anything you want. It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom