fatality in Maldives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This quote was in the comment section of the newspaper article:

David K, Buxton, United Kingdom, 4 days ago
I am a qualified diving medic and Oxygen would have killed her even quicker. It is the LAST thing you give to someone with DCS. Even in the UK in the event of diving injury paramedics have had to be stopped from giving oxygen and entonox to patients.
Read more: Melanie Stoddart died after doctors failed to see she had the bends | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
What is he talking about?

It is called the Internet - Do not believe everything you read - Anyone can pretend to be what they are not. I assume that is what the "dislikes" were for... I am not a medical professional.

If he knew she had been diving high percentages of Nitrox and had overexposed herself to CNS Oxygen Toxicity then that could be a different discussion - nothing in the article that I read suggests that she had Oxygen Toxicity symptoms. So adding O2 to an already high level could make sense from his perspective but DCS is what appears to have been her symptoms and his position does not appear to be valid.

This quote was in the comment section of the newspaper article:

David K, Buxton, United Kingdom, 4 days ago
I am a qualified diving medic and Oxygen would have killed her even quicker. It is the LAST thing you give to someone with DCS. Even in the UK in the event of diving injury paramedics have had to be stopped from giving oxygen and entonox to patients.

Read more: Melanie Stoddart died after doctors failed to see she had the bends | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

What is he talking about?

I have no idea what he is talking about. This is the exact opposite of everything I have ever read and everything I have ever taught.

I can understand not using Entonox, but it sounds like he equating it to O2. I really don't need him around if I'm bent, of course it is the internet and you can be whoever you want.

Bob
----------------------------------------
On the Internet you can choose to be anything you want. It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid.

I have no idea what he is talking about. This is the exact opposite of everything I have ever read and everything I have ever taught.

I had the same reactions.

It is called the Internet - Do not believe everything you read - Anyone can pretend to be what they are not. I assume that is what the "dislikes" were for... I am not a medical professional.

If he knew she had been diving high percentages of Nitrox and had overexposed herself to CNS Oxygen Toxicity then that could be a different discussion - nothing in the article that I read suggests that she had Oxygen Toxicity symptoms. So adding O2 to an already high level could make sense from his perspective but DCS is what appears to have been her symptoms and his position does not appear to be valid.

Even though it is the internet and I could claim all types of expertize I don't have, I'll admit to no more training on this than I got in my PADI EAN course.
The EAN course makes very clear that on the surface, giving 100% Oxygen is ok for anyone. Even someone who got overexposed to oxygen at depth is better with 100% oxygen at sea level than without.

I have no objective data or experience to pass judgment, but I am going to guess that PADI would have been wrapped up and closed due to lawsuits if this was without some form of consensus within the medical community.

As for DCS, I can't even think of a reason why breathing a gas with as low N2 as possible would be a problem. Again, PADI training says this is what you should do for someone with DCS/

I think David K is most likely just a weirdo who doesn't know what he's talking about. Anyone got a differing view?

If he knew she had been diving high percentages of Nitrox and had overexposed herself to CNS Oxygen Toxicity then that could be a different discussion

Even that doesn't make sense. What did he think she was going to be breathing had she made it to a chamber? If she seizes once she's out of the water, so what?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom