Fatality in Tobermory

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boogie711

Reaction score
I just got a phone call from a friend who wanted to confirm that it wasn't me. I hadn't heard about it.

I don't know many details - I found the Owen Sound radio station website - here is what I found from www.radioowensound.com.

The autopsy on the diver killed in Tobermory takes place at 10 this morning. Police say they still have nothing to go on. 57 year old David Clarke was diving to the Arabia Friday evening at Fathom Five National Marine Park when he had some problems. The Thames centre man was on his first dive of the season with his son and some friends. Rescue personnel were called, but Clarke was dead by the time they brought him to shore.

Anyone know more? Truly sad news indeed.

Diving accident in Tobermory

Bruce Peninsula OPP, along with Parks Canada, are investigating the death of a thames Centre Man who was diving at Fathom Five National Marine Park. At about 6 pm Yesterday, a charter boat took several divers to the Arabia, lying in 110 feet of water in the park at Tobermory. 57 year old, David Clarke, was diving with his son and the divers when he experienced problems and an emergency ascent was made. The Dive boat called for help, and the National Marine Park Boat was used to transport Ambulance personnel to the dive site. The diver was pronounced dead when they reached the shore. The victim and his son have been diving for 2 years. This was their first dive of the season. A post mortem will be conducted to determine the cause of death.

http://www.radioowensound.com/new/newscentre/index.htm
(the link may be dead by the time you click it - that's why I posted the story text, above.)

First dive of the season, and they chose to go to 110 ft. (kinda like the Muskie accident Diver Joe Adverted, which was a "first dive of the season") Go in for a shallow dive, check your equipent out at 30 feet or so, get reaquainted with your skills.

I will get off the soap box now.

Dale

divebuddydale once bubbled...

I will get off the soap box now.
Dale

Well Dale, you might want to take Boogie's example and wait for more details before you climb on the 'ol soap box. Dave was part of the group from London I dove with this weekend. Although, I'll let one of the other guys give the details if they choose to. Bito and I got to Toby after that dive.

I can say one thing, he was diving with a group of very experienced and skilled and divers.

Wait for the details before you start spouting off.

Before we get into any speculation I guess I'll post the information I know. Dave had a heart attack at depth. He had at least two buddies assist him and make an emergency ascent but had passed away before they got to the surface.

Dave was not old or obese, he was actually a runner. He was well liked in the group and will be sorely missed. My deepest sympathies go out to his son Scott who was on the dive and their family which I will be expressing in person at the funeral.

Aquabella once bubbled...
Before we get into any speculation I guess I'll post the information I know. Dave had a heart attack at depth. He had at least two buddies assist him and make an emergency ascent but had passed away before they got to the surface.

Dave was not old or obese, he was actually a runner. He was well liked in the group and will be sorely missed. My deepest sympathies go out to his son Scott who was on the dive and their family which I will be expressing in person at the funeral.

Sad when one of our own passes away. My heart felt sympathy to the family and friends of this fellow diver.

Aquabella once bubbled...

Thanks for this information Aquabella. Please convey to Dave's son and the rest of his family and friends our regrets and sympathy.

A very tragic story and very easy to sit at home by the computer after a solid three days of safe diving and play quarterback. Lot's of factors may contribute to a heart attack and Dave's sudden death might serve as a bit of a wake-up call for some of us. Do we all watch our diet, get regular exercise -- arobic and anarobic -- do we all practice stress management in our everyday lives -- meditation as an example -- do we get annual check-ups from our family docs?

I'd like to think we all take this sport seriously enough to be as well prepared as possible for any dive; however, **** happens and that may be the case this time.

When I lived in Montreal, I used to compete against a guy running 1500 meters. Bugger always beat me. He dropped dead of massive heart failure at 32. He stood up from reading a magazine and keeled over -- dead. Sometimes, that's the way it is and no amount of second guessing is going to change things.

As for the first dive of the season thing... It's too easy to say that the Arabia is too much of a dive to start the season... we make personal determinations as to what is or what is not acceptable to us and act accordingly. Different folks make different decisions. My seasons tend to merge into one long season, but my first cold water dive of the Great Lakes season might raise a few eyebrows.

Anyhow, sad news for everyone involved and for our community as a whole

Doppler

Certainly cold may have played a part. Your body as a whole and circulatory system in particular are going to be working harder to keep temps up.
My condolences to his friends and family, especially his son/buddy. IMHO, worse ways to go though, than while doing something you love.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom