Fatality in Tobermory

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetman once bubbled...
Do you guys know how much thermal protection could play into heart attack situations? I wonder if the cold is a trigger for such things some times.

steve
.......It would be interesting to see if this does have some effect on the heart. As for this gentleman, it sounds as if he was in pretty good shape.

Aquabella....please forward my condolences also. Very sad situation indeed.

I is hard to lose someone from our diving "family". Harder in these cases where it appears that the death had nthing to do with diving and it was just his time to move on to another stage in his life.

Doppler makes a good point. I run quite a bit and am training for a marathon this year, and I know of at least two runners that have had heart attacks or strokes who were in great physical condition, so no-one is immune to this.

As for the cold, it could certainly have a part in triggering a heart attack. I didn't go too deep this weekend myself, and the water temp was a comfortable 44 degrees at the first thermocline, but at 100' it would have been quite a bit colder....

You never can tell. There is a charity marathon in Ottawa every year. This year and last a runner that was in shape and finnished in the top 100 died at the finish line from a hear attack. They were both avid runners and had trained for this event.

Dive safe

J

I was just wondering what makes the Arabia such a difficult dive... I've never been to Toby yet (scheduled for later this year), but it seems that most of the accidents happen on the Arabia.. From what I gather its at around 110ft in cold water..
I frequently dive a wreck of Port Dalhousie (100ft, 40F deg at the bottom), and while its deep with short bottom times there is nothing particularly challanging about the dive.. (Assuming properly working equipment and appropriate exposure protection). What makes the Arabia so difficult that all the accidents happen there? Is there a current? Most accidents seem to happen near the wreck and not even inside/around it.. What am I missing... Its always sad to hear about dive accidents, but I'd like to learn something from it..

You know, you get nervous down there just wondering why so many deaths occur on it. That was pretty much going through my head the whole time on that wreck. Tobermorry is always cold, but i've heard the arabia can have different levels of current on it and vis can be good or bad. I guess if you get the worst of all scenarios it might be a good day to call it off at the block if you're not confident. Our day seemed to be bright enough down there and wasn't too much of a current to worry about so we were probably lucky. I hung at 80-90 feet just because i was a bit apprehensive about it - with no justified reason.

steve

my condolences to Dave's family as well as your group. It must be really hard for you all to be facing such a sad event. Everyone on the board is here to support you if you need it.
I never met Dave but I do know a few London area divers.

I think you will find that the majority of fatalities on the Arabia, that were not caused by a medical condition, were divers that had no business being down there in the first place. They did not have the experience, equipment, etc. to be doing a dive in very cold water, and down that deep.

I have read all of the old OUC reports on some of these and in most cases they just were not prepared to dive there.
I also think that Narcosis probably played a part in many of the tragedies here. Fixating on equipment problems etc and forgetting to watch their air.

Given decent conditions a properly trained, equipped diver following a proper dive plan should have no difficulty.

It really is a nice dive but you need to be prepared for it.

I never had the pleasure of meeting Dave yet... :( My condolences to the family... please pass mine along Aquabella...

Aquabella once bubbled...
Before we get into any speculation I guess I'll post the information I know. Dave had a heart attack at depth. He had at least two buddies assist him and make an emergency ascent but had passed away before they got to the surface.

Dave was not old or obese, he was actually a runner. He was well liked in the group and will be sorely missed. My deepest sympathies go out to his son Scott who was on the dive and their family which I will be expressing in person at the funeral.

My deepest sympathy goes to the family and friends. Please give the family my condolences when you see them at the funeral. Dave well be very much missed to all that know him. He will be in my thoughts always.

It is never good to lose a friend. We need to take care of the people who cared for this person. Bella, if there is anything you need, even just a ear to listen, please call. You have my number.

Back
Top Bottom