Fatboy newbie with ?'s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tinkertrain

Reaction score
hello all
many questions
1st I got my padi ow dive cert july 27 so im still new justa few questions
#1 I AM fat boy pushing 290lbs 5 foot nothing so i am looking for a BCD that is "one size fits all" so it will adjust as I loose wieght (had Gastric bypass surgery in march 25 08 so the weight is coming off ) any suggestions as to a bcd is appreciated.
#2 took the padi ow corse but as I read I wonder if the dir gue fundie corse would be the best one to take next (in time )
#3 in the OW classes I had a 16lb weight belt and any tim I stoped swimming (rental/class equip)I would go vertical Im sure it will get better with practice but I wonder if integrated wieghts (along with trim wieghts) will help
#4 I have/keep a mustach wonder if a purge mask might be easier to clear than regular mask
and I have more questions but I will pester you further at a later date thankyou for any advice

6' 3" , 270lbs. (down from 403 lbs. 16 mos. ago) , and I would recommend a BP/W or other Back Inflated system.

A wrap-around Jacket-style (in addition to potentially squeezing you when your at your largest) wont be able to Shrink with you like a BPW system is able to (you jus' tighten the webbing eh?).

Comfortable and with the addition of helping you trim out nicely underwater, personally I use an Apeks WTX (an Aqualung rec/tec BC).

Happy Diving! :)

^^ i can't agree anymore.

Ditto on the plate and harness. Most you will be out is 13 bucks of new webbing; which like your belt, you will be happy to replace after your weight loss!!!! Can't say I would be thrilled to buy a 600 dollar BC every other month - save that $$$ for more scuba gear. Lol.

As for your question about the fundies course? Any training is better than no training. Just make sure it's in line with your overall goal for scuba. Now would be a good time to sit back, give some thought about which directions you would like to take. Example: Wreck, Cave, Both etc. etc. While similar,they require the same fundamentals, however just different paths to get you there. Give some thought also to working toward your nitrox, advanced nitrox/deco procedures etc. You will find that the AN/DP course is a good foundation to build your future dive disciplines on.

Congrats on your bypass. I had mine in 2004 and never looked back.

Safe diving,

Kenny

yep - another vote for bpw

and well done on your improving lifestyle... enjoy!!

hello all
many questions
1st I got my padi ow dive cert july 27 so im still new justa few questions
#1 I AM fat boy pushing 290lbs 5 foot nothing so i am looking for a BCD that is "one size fits all" so it will adjust as I loose wieght (had Gastric bypass surgery in march 25 08 so the weight is coming off ) any suggestions as to a bcd is appreciated.
I'm the last person to suggest a BPW for solving everything but I agree that it would be the perfectly adaptable BC for you. There is plenty of advice abounding here on the board including in the Hogartian forum. Common brands include Deeo Sea Supply (DSS) Oxycheq, Dive Rite, and Halcyon. Start doing homework.

#2 took the padi ow corse but as I read I wonder if the dir gue fundie course would be the best one to take next (in time )
They say it's a great course but unless you feel woefully under trained I'd get out there and do some diving to at least build some comfort in handling yourself underwater. Once you're comfortable Fundies will teach you about excellence. At least that's my take.

#3 in the OW classes I had a 16lb weight belt and any time I stopped swimming (rental/class equip)I would go vertical I'm sure it will get better with practice but I wonder if integrated weights (along with trim weights) will help
I assume vertical meant feet down & head up? It sounds like you have fairy trim legs and are carrying a lot of extra on the upper body. If you were using an aluminum cylinder going with steel will swing some negative buoyancy to your upper body. Using a cam band to attach some weight higher on the cylinder will work too. The BP&W will probably have a stainless steel back plate that will put about 6 pounds on your back. This problem may solve it's self as you switch BC.

Move what you need move up you body for trim but I suggest keeping as much on the belt as possible. If you need to get out of your rig at depth you don't want to be overly buoyant.

#4 I have/keep a mustache wonder if a purge mask might be easier to clear than regular mask
and I have more questions but I will pester you further at a later date thank you for any advice
Any mask should be perfectly easy to clear and you are better off without a purge valve in there. I'll let the mustache crowd make better suggestions.

I lost 150 pounds through gastric bypass and the expirence has been amazing just go have fun diving for now. Because when you loose all the weight you are going to loose not only will you need to carry a lot less weight but you are also going to trim out entirely differnt. My biggest issue has been buoyancy and I think it may be because you loose the weight but not the fat cells and they cause you tofloat more bcause they are less dense. Good luck

Any problems with the bypass? I'm thinking of doing it.

not that I have anything against those that Do, I didnt have the money and I had a friend of a friend who'd gotten one but had complications, he had scraped up the money for the initial surgery but had nothing left for "what if's" , his insurance which wouldnt cover the bypass initially didnt want anything to do with the costs incurred through the complications either.

some of his internal staples had leaked, and he'd gone septic, could very well have killed him.

Also I'm not sure if the bypass route would have worked for me... , my eating was way outta control... if I had gotton the surgery without making some long-term life changes I probably would have just wasted my money (or worse).

I lost it a couple pounds at a time with diet changes and implementation of an exercise program over a 16 mos. period , still losin', tho' I've hit another discouraging plateau.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom