Father And Son Loss

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hunterb4

Reaction score
The father and son well-trained cave and wreck divers who died after over-staying their time on the German sub in The Shadow Divers, has anyone the specifics as to why the son's line into where he was trapped was not useable for both father and son to follow back out to where they left their backup tanks. I understand it was badly tangled where the son worked trying to recover the canvas before he was trapped. But when his father rescued him, why did they not cut free of the tangle and follow that line out the way the father followed it in? Because they didn't, they went the wrong way exiting the sub, failed to find their backup bottles at the anchor line, and eventually made their deadly panic rush to the surface.

If we understand such details perhaps they won't be repeated. I wrote The Cave Divers in 1972 that hopefully prevented untrained cave divers from making basic mistakes such as using a polypropylene rope as a lifeline, and learning too late that being neutral in the water it can entangle both you and your companion if you get into trouble at depth.

I would appreciate any accurate feedback from any who know the details of this tragedy. My e-mail is hunterb4@gtcom.net

Thanks,
hunterb4

No details, but just wanted to say that I thoroughly enjoyed reading your book. In fact, I'm trying to find my copy to lend it to a cave-diving friend!

hunterb4:
The father and son well-trained cave and wreck divers who died after over-staying their time on the German sub in The Shadow Divers, has anyone the specifics as to why the son's line into where he was trapped was not useable for both father and son to follow back out to where they left their backup tanks. I understand it was badly tangled where the son worked trying to recover the canvas before he was trapped. But when his father rescued him, why did they not cut free of the tangle and follow that line out the way the father followed it in? Because they didn't, they went the wrong way exiting the sub, failed to find their backup bottles at the anchor line, and eventually made their deadly panic rush to the surface.

If we understand such details perhaps they won't be repeated. I wrote The Cave Divers in 1972 that hopefully prevented untrained cave divers from making basic mistakes such as using a polypropylene rope as a lifeline, and learning too late that being neutral in the water it can entangle both you and your companion if you get into trouble at depth.

I would appreciate any accurate feedback from any who know the details of this tragedy. My e-mail is hunterb4@gtcom.net

Thanks,
hunterb4
The accident was the subject of a book, "The Last Dive" by Bernie Chowhury. He probably knows as much about it as anyone.

If I recall correctly from "The Last Dive", narcosis was believed to play a large role...they were on air, not mix.

Yes, you are right, Dave. I started that book then switched over and got hooked on Shadow Divers. The narcosis and failure to use Tri-mix were indeed fatal factors I'm afraid.

Sadly, there was another father and son fatality a few years back in California. While not quite the same circumstances as with the Rouses mistakes in planning, experience, perhaps even narcosis played key roles in this dual tragedy. Originally published in Aquacorp several years back. Oct/Nov 95 off the wreck of the Moody.

hunterb4:
...basic mistakes such as using a polypropylene rope as a lifeline, and learning too late that being neutral in the water it can entangle both you and your companion if you get into trouble at depth.

Pardon my ignorance, but I don't know anything about those issues. I guess they are relevant even in rec diving if we are using a reel and line for wreck penetration. Care to explain a little?

Ayisha:
Pardon my ignorance, but I don't know anything about those issues. I guess they are relevant even in rec diving if we are using a reel and line for wreck penetration. Care to explain a little?

Hi Ayisha Poly rope is that yellow rope you find at Canadian tire.The properties that make it so dangerous is it floats ,combine that with a confinded space ,low vis and you can see ware it could lead to problems of intanglement.Wreck reels use a braided line that is negativly bouyant.With the line being braided it does not untwist when it gets wet. Laid correctly it will stay put. Paul

Back
Top Bottom