Favorite "Celebrity" chefs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

neophytediver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Everyone does it, we're all guilty of watching cooking show and Food Network. We all have our favorites. Who are yours?

Those that I can't stand stem from the fact that they rarely if ever do recipes accessible to the common cook. Those that I love have always been ones that make food anyone could do.

Those I love (in no paricular order):
Alton Brown: Host of "Good Eats" on Food Network.
Justin Wilson: "I garontee!!!!"
Jeff Smith: Retired host of "The Frugal Gourmet."
Martin Yan: Host of various Asian/Chinese cooking shows and specials, most notably "Yan Can Cook!"
Tako the Octopus: The only cooking show hosted by a cephalopod. Yes a cephalopod.

And those I can't stand:
Emeril Lagasse: If I hear "Bam!" one more time someone's losing a larynix!
Julia Child: I cringe everytime I watch this woman cook. Not only does her voice grate on my nerves, but she has no idea of safe food handling practices.
Bobby Flay: No. Just no.
Martha Stewart: Nuff said!

neophytediver:
Everyone does it, we're all guilty of watching cooking show and Food Network. We all have our favorites. Who are yours?

Those that I can't stand stem from the fact that they rarely if ever do recipes accessible to the common cook. Those that I love have always been ones that make food anyone could do.

Those I love (in no paricular order):
Alton Brown: Host of "Good Eats" on Food Network.
Justin Wilson: "I garontee!!!!"
Jeff Smith: Retired host of "The Frugal Gourmet."
Martin Yan: Host of various Asian/Chinese cooking shows and specials, most notably "Yan Can Cook!"
Tako the Octopus: The only cooking show hosted by a cephalopod. Yes a cephalopod.

And those I can't stand:
Emeril Lagasse: If I hear "Bam!" one more time someone's losing a larynix!
Julia Child: I cringe everytime I watch this woman cook. Not only does her voice grate on my nerves, but she has no idea of safe food handling practices.
Bobby Flay: No. Just no.
Martha Stewart: Nuff said!
I'm pretty much in line with you, but I would move Julia to those I like - her pedigree and what she's done for foodies is above reproach - she's the Arnold Palmer of food. I would also add Anthony Bourdain to the list I like. Don't watch his show much, but his books are enjoyable. Been to Les Halles in Miami - hope the one in NY is better, or I don't understand what the fuss would be about...

Jamie Oliver is probably my favorite.

I like Giada DeLaurentiis of Everyday Italian. She's cute and has lots of interesting recipies. She's also the granddaughter of filmmaker Dino DeLaurentiis, I believe.

A friend of mine in London cannot stand Jamie Oliver. I happen to like him, personally.

ScubaTexan:
A friend of mine in London cannot stand Jamie Oliver. I happen to like him, personally.
I can't say I watch his show, but I have his cookbooks and they are great.

Alton Brown
Used to like Bobby Flay and Jack McDavid on "Grillin' and Chillin'"
Michael Lamonaco (don't see him much, he used to run "Windows on the World" atop the World Trade Center, now he has a Cuban restaurant that's really good.
Mario Battali is ok, I want to try his restuarants
Morimoto, ate at his new place in Philly, it was one of the best meals I ever ate

Dislike
Jack McDavid, ate at one of his places in Philly, it sucked. I do like his grilling recipes.
Martha Stewart, die,die,die, not sure why FoodTV still shows a convicted fellon
Sarah Multon, dumb as a bag of hammers
Jamie Oliver

JerseyDevil:
Tony Bourdain called him sellout for doing BKing commercials. Hilarious
Yeah, but I still like them both. Tony's a bit of a hardcase, but that's why he appeals. Rick just clearly loves what he is doing - just listening to him while he's wandering around a market in Mexico gets my mouth watering...

gj62:
Yeah, but I still like them both. Tony's a bit of a hardcase, but that's why he appeals. Rick just clearly loves what he is doing - just listening to him while he's wandering around a market in Mexico gets my mouth watering...
I like that he showcases real Mexican food, not something you see much of, I just don't like him. He reminds me of a serial killer when he talks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom