Favorite Fish to See?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Litefoot

Contributor
Reaction score
Do you have a fish that makes you smile when you see it while diving? I am relatively inexperienced, but on a recent shallow reef dive off Key West, I had a lone yellowtail snapper follow by my side for a nearly hour-long dive. I guess he thought I needed a buddy. Made me smile.

...that makes you smile when you see it while diving?
IMG_2473.JPG

I'm a real fish geek and just LOVE diving amongst and observing fish. ALL fish. But I do have a couple that came to mind when I read your post.

I'm a sucker for butterfly fish. I see them all the time here in Florida and they always bring a smile to my face. They are typically in pairs. Here in FL we have reef, spotfin, foureye, banded plus a few others. I love seeing these guys!

I also love following a hogfish and watching it change color and texture as it moves across the sand and reef.

I also love watching the jacks ... yellow, cottonmouth, bar, horseye, amberjack, crevalle ... we see all of these in the waters I frequently dive. Some are more common than others, but I've seen them all at one point. They all have different behavior patterns, schooling patterns, feeding patterns. I find them mesmerizing to watch, and to watch the behaviors of the other fish when they come around feeding.

I'm a real fish geek and just LOVE diving amongst and observing fish. ALL fish.
+1. If I had to pick something for an extra smile though, I think it would be scrawled filefish. Something about their funky shape and electric blue lines always makes me happy.

Frogfish definitely come to mind because I've found so few of them over the years...... But the other is the Dusky Damsel....... I think that pound for pound they are the king of the sea. If those things weighed 10lbs or more, I'd probably stay out of the water!

1694636355644.png

Tetronarce californica, Pacific electric ray

1694636405947.png

Stereolepis gigas, Giant sea bass

1694636620907.png

Anarrhichthys ocellatus, Wolf eel

1694636537437.png

Gymnothorax mordax, California moray

1694636689928.png

Mola Mola, Ocean sunfish

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back