Favorite SoCal boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisM once bubbled...
OK, so I cheated, had to do a googlewhack., never saw it tho I love mike Myers....

hee hee.

Nice job, Sherlock!

K

The Bottom Scratcher being the only boat I have ever dove from, all I can say is: Once you get used to Bobby's Summer Teeth, it's a good boat, and the Newcastle is only $2.50! :boozer:

robertphillips5 once bubbled...
...and the Newcastle is only $2.50! :boozer:

I knew there had to be something positive to say about the BS!

Gets my vote. Good dives, good food, good crew, and good company! I don't see how you could ask for much more! :D

If you want to dive Wreck Alley (Yukon, Ruby, Tower, El Rey) or the Coronados, you can't go wrong with the Lois Ann.

http://www.loisann.com

Nice boat, easy swimstep, friendly crew, HP air & nitrox fills, good refreshments & home made cookies.

--Dan

Definitely the Sand Dollar out of San Pedro ... cleanest gas on any boat. Stacy is one helluva cook as well.

Their url is diving.net

dive boats out of SoCal.

My first choice would be the Pac Star, although the drive all the way to Redondo is a trip. But I agree with the comments about the amenities. With the exception of the galley layout and the food (?), the only other "annoyance" might be the SSA (Rusty's) gang hogging the boat. Was on this boat for Chamber Day for the second year in a row and could really go without his theatrics.

My second choice would be the Aquatica out of Wilmington. I understand some people have had problems on this one, but I have always had good experiences with Manny and his crew. As for food, this has the best meals I have ever had on a diveboat. It does however have some shortcomings that I have recognized since being on other boats (bunk area, small dive deck, 2 heads very very small) but I overlook that because of the crew.

I have only been on the Sundiver once and really was not impressed. Couldn't say why though because I didn't have a bad time, just didn't care for it. From a geographic standpoint it is the closest to where I am living.

Just my .02 worth.

So far I've done the Sand Dollar, Bottom Scratcher, Sun Diver, Second Stage (6-pack), Spectre and Peace.

Favs or best experiences have been on Sand Dollar, Sun Diver, Peace and Second Stage.

I have been diving Sand Dollar most because most of the people I know dive on it and I know the crew.

The Sun Diver has been great the two times I've been on it due to the site selection, the captain, and believe it or not the galley (I thought the burgers were fine and I'd rather pay and get what I want than get chow of the moment for the masses). I expect to be diving the Sun Diver more, and probably will do some more open boat days as I just did a Fundamentals class and I know there tends to be a cadre of dir types on those days. I love it when the captain continually picks fresh dive sites. That's probably the most important thing in my book. The last time I went we started at Lands End, then went to Johnson Rock and then Indian Rock... very cool. I also like a challenge... when we were at Lands End it was pretty lumpy on the surface but we stuck it out and it was worth it once you got underwater.

I liked the Peace as I thought the boat was spacious, and the crew was efficient and organized without being too overbearing about it. I went to San Miguel with them and I thought it was great how they said we were gonna do 4 dives and kept us on schedule. I have to drive 2.5-3 hrs from the Inland Empire to do this boat though. I really don't mind the drive.

Second stage is just a nice and relaxed diving experience as its a six-pack. It pumps hydrocarbon free air, too.

I can't put my picks in any strict order. They're all great boats IMO.

I feel very fortunate to be close to a variety of outstanding dive operations. I've had great trips on Vision, Truth, Peace and Spectre.
My favorite is Vision.
On a side note, is Iron Eagle still running locally?

On a side note, is Iron Eagle still running locally?

Well, it only took a month for this boat to get mentioned! I'm surprised.

Last time I saw it was about two months ago,diving off the Sundiver on Catalina frontside. I thought it had gone to Baja fort the winter.

Last I heard there was a thread on diver.net about it being tied up at some dock and not looking too hot

It's very interesting to me to see the differing opinions. Everyone likes a boat for their own reasons. I have mentioned boats that I like that others hate, and others have mentioned boats they like that I hate. Vive la difference!

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom