FCC requirements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm trying to decern what licenses are or are not required by a small 6 pack (un-inspected) dive boat. Standard practice seems to indicate that none are required but what I'm reading seems to indicate they are.

I'm trying to decern what licenses are or are not required by a small 6 pack (un-inspected) dive boat. Standard practice seems to indicate that none are required but what I'm reading seems to indicate they are.

Sure, and depending on who you ask and what's most current in their mind you are going to get conflicting answers because the FCC rules and the USCG rules are actually, truly, contradictory. SB will never be able to resolve your problem. Ask your MSO and get their answer in writing.

I hate to say it, but it doesn't hurt to get it... its a 30 question exam, mine cost $70 which included the testing fees and the FCC fees... from what I understand, it is good for life...

It is required if your vessel is required to have a VHF radio per the CFR's, whether it is inspected or not. Length of vessel determines whether a VHF is required in most instances...

One thing - if you don't want to try and decipher the CFR's, simply email iasknmc@uscg.mil They have been more than helpful, and, best of all, you will have a response that you can save as an e-mail and even print, to put with your boat log / paperwork, so that, in the event of an incident, you will have a clearly defined statement from the CG in writing, which is much better than just writing down what was said in a phone conversation...

I have a license for my VHF, SSB & Radar. Aside from the SSB, nothing is required.

I have a license for my VHF, SSB & Radar. Aside from the SSB, nothing is required.

You might double check that...

straight from the FCC:

"MPs are required to operate radiotelephone stations aboard certain vessels that sail the Great Lakes. They are also required to operate radiotelephone stations aboard vessels of more than 300 gross tons and vessels which carry more than six passengers for hire in the open sea or any tidewater area of the United States. They are also required to operate certain aviation radiotelephone stations and certain coast radiotelephone stations."

the part in italics is the part that requires me to have one...

As far as the FCC is concerned, a uninspected 6 pack dive boat falls into the "voluntary ship" category and you do not need a license unless you are over 20 meters in length.

FCC: Wireless Services: Ship Radio Stations: Licensing

Even if you are required to have a VHF by the state, read further down the page of the above link and you'll see...

"You do not need a license to use marine VHF radios, any type of EPIRB, any type of radar, GPS or LORAN receivers, depth finders, CB radio, or amateur radio (an amateur license is required). Ships that use MF/HF single side-band radio, satellite communications, or telegraphy must continue to be licensed by the FCC. "

They got rid of the license requirement for basic VHF radios about five years ago IIRC

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom