Fdog review: Performance Freediving Class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Fdog! Well PFI is new to Scubaboard and I guess I'm a little late seeing this, but wow! What a great program review! All of us here at PFI really appreciate your kind words and the effort you put into this. I haven't gotten to meet you personally yet, but I'm sure I will when you take your advanced course (hint hint!) or when you do an intermediate review. I'm sending the link to this review to Kirk and Mandy to make sure they get to see it.

Thanks so much again,
Erin Magee
Performance Freediving International Instructor
erin.magee@performancefreediving.com
954-347-0615

Great report. Thank you for sharing.

One question: The person that did the photos was a student? And, if so, how did they manage through the training with the camera in-hand?

Just curious.

Ken

Hello Ken~

The topside photos were taken by my wife, Janet. She did not take the class, but did go scuba diving while we were in the classroom.

The U/W photos were shot by Peter Satitpunwaycha, who was a member of the PFI staff I believe.

The amount of material covered, the tasks and skills required, would have made it impossible to bring a camera along.

All the best, James

Great report James and thanks for the detailed presentation. I have not read anything but good about this course. My regular spearing buddy and I really want to do it.

How people like me can get a chance to do the course??
any chance you have any other branches??
i live in Dubai?

My son, two friends and I just completed the course here in Belize. PFI sent Kirk down for a private class and well, James (fdog) summed it up as well as it can be said.
All of us are free dive spearos so the pure performance free diving approach may get "adjusted" a little with most likely a little more weight for our average hunting depth.
But the breathing up, relaxing, safety aspects of the course were will worth the time and money.
My son is pretty crazed and goes for the max in everything he does. During the static breath holds on day 2, I made 5 minutes. Well, Jake naturally had to beat the old man so as he got to 4 min 30 sec, he was having some spasms. As he reached 5 min, he gave the ok sign. At 5 min 8 sec, he pulled his head up, took two breaths and blacked out right in my arms.
We were told it might happen and it was very sobering to actually see it first hand but most importantly, to know how to recognize it and to apply the rescue techniques on the surface.
One of my buddies who took the class is 68 and has been free diving spearing for over 50 years. He just kept smiling and telling Kirk, "you make this all so much easier".

Back
Top Bottom