Feature request — Dive simulation for training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

estresao

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

There is something I have in other computers whuch I'm missing in my Pedix: Dive simulation.

Why is that usefull? When you are learning how to use all the stuff provided by your Perdix, it could be awesome try and tets all these stuff in a simulated dive in order to learn and get used to it.

For example, I know the timer or the average depth reset, but I've never used in my Perdix, snd when I need it for some technical diving, is not the moment to start "playing" with the unknow.

If I had rge chace to practice all these stuff in a simulated dive it will only mattet of muscular memory in my dives.

Also will help to see how a particular screen configuration will be actually.

Thanks!

Hi all,

There is something I have in other computers whuch I'm missing in my Pedix: Dive simulation.

Why is that usefull? When you are learning how to use all the stuff provided by your Perdix, it could be awesome try and tets all these stuff in a simulated dive in order to learn and get used to it.

For example, I know the timer or the average depth reset, but I've never used in my Perdix, snd when I need it for some technical diving, is not the moment to start "playing" with the unknow.

If I had rge chace to practice all these stuff in a simulated dive it will only mattet of muscular memory in my dives.

Also will help to see how a particular screen configuration will be actually.

Thanks!
Set your limits and timers more conservative and know you have time and depth to learn. Dry runs are good for going over procedures, but pushing a button on a computer is almost laughable. Perdix 1 and AI will flash yellow with the alert, push the right button. Perdix 2 will give you a haptic response and flash, push the right button... there's your dry run.

Set your limits and timers more conservative and know you have time and depth to learn. Dry runs are good for going over procedures, but pushing a button on a computer is almost laughable. Perdix 1 and AI will flash yellow with the alert, push the right button. Perdix 2 will give you a haptic response and flash, push the right button... there's your dry run.
Probably I have not expressed properly what I mean. In some dives I can expend time playing with my computer to learn, but thst's not the usual, plud I think it doesn't make sense diving to learn how to use my computer.

I don't dive to learn how to use my computer, I use my computer to dive. If there is no another choice, I bettter put my computer in a bucket of water to practice.... which I think is not reasonable.

On the another I don't use my computer to know my limits, I plan my limits in advance and don't need my computer to manage them (usually Indive in gauge mode).

There are some feaures I widh to use, like reseting the average depth, set/reseta the timer, etc...

In my Divesoft Freedom I can use the dive simulation to learn how to use all these stuff as I where underwater, but I don't need to lose focus in the important thing during a dive to learn using them.

If I have to learn all these stuff underwater, while diving, rather to be focused in what I have to be, I would prefer no use them, which is right what I'm doing now.

I don't dive to learn how to use my computer, I use my computer to dive. If there is no another choice, I bettter put my computer in a bucket of water to practice.... which I think is not reasonable.
There's literally nothing to learn. If you set limits then it will flash in yellow and you acknowledge that with a press of one button and then you're back to diving. The DC will continue to track everything whether you follow your plan or keep doing whatever it is you were doing.

There are some feaures I widh to use, like reseting the average depth, set/reseta the timer, etc...
That's not possible AFAIK. Average depth is based on when your perdix starts and ends your dive. There is zero reasonable reason to ever need to change that. There isn't a "timer" function that I'm aware of. Sounds like you just want to play with your computer when you should be focusing on the dive. Want a timer, look at the clock or dive time that is displayed. Want to take an average depth over time, look at your dive log once you get out of the water. A perdix doesn't have these gimmicks and distractions you're after.

In the end, FTM.

The perdix is very straight forward on its use. Set your mode, set your display, go dive.

Hello

In this article it is suggested that you can reset the average depth and it explains a scenario where average depth could be useful. I do not use the stopwatch often. AFAIK, it can be stopped, restarted and it can be resetted. However, none of these options is available on land.

Bes. wishes Jens

I like the suggestion. I am still changing some settings/views after almost 8 years on Shearwater DCs as my diving needs evolve and I would likely do some testing a land given the option.

I think this is a great idea. I have had my Perdix AI since they came out have been trained on nitrox deco procedures, but in the last few years have mostly just used it for single gas rec stuff but would really like something like this to get myself back to being familiar as to how to switch gases during the diving screens/menus without having to think "how many times do I press this?", "what do active gases look like in the menu during a dive?", etc. It would be nice to do this when I am sitting around during TV commercials, or just bored.

There's literally nothing to learn. If you set limits then it will flash in yellow and you acknowledge that with a press of one button and then you're back to diving. The DC will continue to track everything whether you follow your plan or keep doing whatever it is you were doing.

That's not possible AFAIK. Average depth is based on when your perdix starts and ends your dive. There is zero reasonable reason to ever need to change that. There isn't a "timer" function that I'm aware of. Sounds like you just want to play with your computer when you should be focusing on the dive. Want a timer, look at the clock or dive time that is displayed. Want to take an average depth over time, look at your dive log once you get out of the water. A perdix doesn't have these gimmicks and distractions you're after.

In the end, FTM.

The perdix is very straight forward on its use. Set your mode, set your display, go dive.
I think you don't know all the Perdix features. I would suggest you to read the official documentation, mainly the chapter related to Gauge Mode, page 37 of the following document:

https://www.shearwater.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/Perdix-2_Technical_Manual_RevB.pdf

So by being able to simulate a dive in your computer, like other brands allows, give you the following advantages:

- You can see how you screen configuration will be displayed under the water before you go diving. Now you can only assume thing and check it up when in the water and, if you don't like something, you have to wait to the next dive to tell whether your refinements suits better to your needs.

- You can learn and make "muscular memory", putting focus on your dive rather than on your computer. That's critical when doing complex divings.... I don't want to be learning how to set computer stuff when cave diving,

I usually dive in gauge mode mentally managing my dive parameters, and these features are really useful. Gauge mode would be perfect if I could:

- Set up the compass widget in the center line of Gauge Mode home screen. Why?: This mode is perfect for technical diving and, when in a cave, compass is essential. Yes, you ca activate the button line compass, but it will replace valuable information, plus there is nothing in the very center of this screen... why not using it for compass and prevent us from switching the bottom line, just like you can do in OC mode for example?

- Add what Subsurface (and other computers) calls bookmarks. In some computers you add them by clicking a button, similar to a gas switching, but it just mark the current moment in the dive log. Later on these marks can be seen in Subsurface )or whichever software) as bookmarks and you have the chance to both, analyse what happened in your dive, and edit the bookmark to add information, like for example when you reached a specific point (a cave's jump, the end of a ship, etc.., when you changed to a different gas tank (same gas, different tank... gas switching doesn't work here). This allows us to analyse a complex dive to better plan the next one.... see the following Subsurface piedce of documentation:

https://subsurface-divelog.org/subsurface-user-manual/#S_Bookmarks

I'm afraid you are wrong. Perdix has a resettable avg depth in Gauge Mode, which is helpful if you want to dive tables á la GUE. There is also a timer in both Gauge Mode and Tech Mode, those are the two I use so it might be available in other modes too. The timer can be quite useful if you want to practice timing ascents, and it probably has some other nice uses cases I haven't thought of.

PS.
If you want to use the timer in the Tech Mode you have to set it up on the middle row. Then when diving, "Start Timer" appears in the menu pretty early on. If timer is running, you will also get "Reset Timer" and "Stop Timer" options in the menu. The timer turns red when stopped to alert you that it's not running. It's pretty basic stuff, so the OP should be able to try it out on a dive where it's not 100% mission critical.

The Bookmarks feature is in the Teric/Terns (Shearwater calls them Tags), and I suspect they will make it to the other models at some point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom