Feb 3rd...NorCal get together at Pt Lobos!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

renpirate:
So Chuck, if the weather is good, does this sound interesting to you?
Maybe.

Lobos Rocks not double black diamond? Ask Glenn Davis and his buddy about it. They
got swept away from the boat by the current. Glenn tied his tank off to the kelp,
and made it back to the boat after about an hour. The buddy swam to the beach.
Glenn's tank went missing.

And the problem with anchoring in the lee of a rock is what happens when the wind
changes?

And there's a surf zone that can sneak up on you.

Danobee, the day you showed up on Dave's boat was not most days. It was REALLY REALLY flat.

It's a great dive, the sea lions and green anemones are fun, but it requires some caution.

Chuck Tribolet:
...Danobee, the day you showed up on Dave's boat was not most days. It was REALLY REALLY flat.

That was only one of many times I've been there, and we were actually surprised to see you guys there.

Sometimes the current is strong around the rocks, but that's why you throw out the current line and start your dive going into the current.

I've even considered doing it as a solo shore dive, but the swell was always too big when I walked down to Soberanes Point.

dannobee:
That was only one of many times I've been there, and we were actually surprised to see you guys there.

Sometimes the current is strong around the rocks, but that's why you throw out the current line and start your dive going into the current.

I've even considered doing it as a solo shore dive, but the swell was always too big when I walked down to Soberanes Point.

How many is 'many'? Sometimes the current changes while diving down there. Swimming out to the rocks is a pretty dumb idea (though people do it), it's a long ways and even a 1/2kt current will make it challenging to get back. Still think it would be fun to scooter UW from shore if you have the gas.

Brian

Ben_ca:
Cmon if Lynne/TSandM can lug around doubles anyone can :)

While that is very true...just because one CAN lug around a set of doubles, doesn't mean one should....:no

Chuck...I can appreciate your urge for caution...According to the link on YOUR website...Lobos rocks is a double black diamond FROM SHORE...Int to Advanced from a boat. having seen the site, It looks pretty similar to Ship rock at catalina. Heavy currents can come through there, so if bad, we don't dive it....but we still need to have a proposed plan on where we will dive, right?

so...if anyone doesn't think they can handle current diving or difficult surface swims, please don't sign up to come...

Waiting for boat to return my call...

So looking forward to this!

It should be noted though, that you will get less people if you do an advanced dive. I am up for just about anything, but I wouldn't want to put some of my fellow divers in a more challanging situation than they can handle.

SoCalAngel:
Chuck...I can appreciate your urge for caution...According to the link on YOUR website...Lobos rocks is a double black diamond FROM SHORE...Int to Advanced from a boat. having seen the site, It looks pretty similar to Ship rock at catalina. Heavy currents can come through there, so if bad, we don't dive it....but we still need to have a proposed plan on where we will dive, right?

MY Website: http://www.garlic.com/~triblet/swell/gps.html doesn't say a word about
Lobos Rocks.

I can see if we get the Silver Prince to go where we want. I volunteer every weekend on the boat. Our Capt rocks! I bet he would do it. The Silver Prince holds 12 to 14 divers. What do you think?

bwh6:
How many is 'many'? Brian

Six or eight times this year alone. Some of my dive reports from Lobos Rocks are on ba_diving, too.

I agree that the site sometimes has currents, so if you're not comfortable with the potential for them, don't sign up.

I just talked to Jared, my best friend, and manager of MBDC. He said we could book the Silver Prince and we can get 18 to 20 people on it. We just usually cut it off at 12 to 14. Let me know and I can get the pricing.

That sounds like its worth checking out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom