Fed up in Sharm El Sheikh

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Harry and Crowley. Totally agree with the comments and it is a real head and heart thing. More chance of an incident getting to the airport but nevertheless! Crowley where abouts are you for when I come back without my daughter in February?

Is shorebased worth doing, as only ever done liveaboards from sharm.

All of Sharm is still worth diving. Some reefs have suffered, for sure, but the diving is still spectacular. If you did liveaboards then you will have seen Tiran and RasMo but some of the local sites such as Ras Umm Sid, Ras Nasrani, Ras Ghamila, Paradise etc. can also be stunning. February should be pretty quiet, and pretty cold - the sea is at its lowest temperature feb - march.

Any questions of course feel free to ask - have PMd my location.

Cheers

C.

What are sea temps at present, Crowley?

25 degrees in Na'ama bay at the moment, probably 24ish out in Tiran by now.

There is a conspiracy somewhere - fatal shark attacks, frozen airports and now today we have a thunderstorm overhead - all we need now is a good earthquake. I can't help but feel there is some sort of Karma involved! :D

C.

We returned from Sharm last week and had a great time diving. Usually a dive on Jackson involves hordes of divers and boats smothering the site - it's not relaxing or pleasant avoiding being finned or trying to photograph the turtle that is surrounded by 20 divers.
When we arrived this time, ours was the only boat on the mooring - fantastic.
I recommend to anyone that wants to enjoy the sites without the crowds to get out to Sharm a.s.a.p.

25 degrees in Na'ama bay at the moment, probably 24ish out in Tiran by now.

Would you expect it to drop well below 20 in Feb/March (when, as you said, it reaches its lowest) ?

I can't help but feel there is some sort of Karma involved! :D

Let's think positive : In a few days 2010 will be over ...

There is a conspiracy somewhere - fatal shark attacks, frozen airports and now today we have a thunderstorm overhead - all we need now is a good earthquake.
Anybody knows a decent Volcano in the area? To complete the list?
Island is to far away...

Now, that I think about it, a nice little outbreak of ebola would also do the trick!
We all could have a vacation ´till next christmas!

btw and before I forget: A happy new year, everybody! :wink:

Sea temperature - last year the lowest we saw in Sharm was 22 - 23 degrees. The year before it apparently dropped as far as 18 but we have had some mild winters.

macrobubble - it's almost farcical - after the beaches reopen nobody can get into the water because there has been a lightning storm overhead for most of the day. It's rained off and on since the morning and although it hasn't been heavy yet, the roads are starting to flood. I'm supposed to be going to Thistlegorm tomorrow. When it rained in January we couldn't get to Travco harbour because the road to Travco through Old Sharm was over a metre deep in water.

Forecast tonight is for about 6mm rain/hour in the early morning - given that there doesn't appear to be any more drainage than in January, I feel I will be asking my captain to moor the boat in Old Market somewhere....

pants!

C.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom