Feedback Please... Opinion On What You Would Like To See In A Dive Operation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1) 7-10 days, the airfare is frequently the most expensive part and if I'm doing a liveaboard its likely the point of the trip. So wouldn't consider anything shorter than 7, maybe 5 if there is a reason (like 2 days of travel on either end to reach major airports/ferries/etc).

2) Private rooms, that have a bed big enough for two adults, with the ability to regulate room temperature within a reasonable standard. I travel with my wife and we have no interest in barracks-style lodging on expensive dive vacations (local charters to the Channel Islands or other S. California spots its okay still not preferred but take what we can get).

3) Above pure spartan conditions but below luxury tier. Mid-tier is I guess what I'm saying, we don't want to pay for a floating Ritz Carlton but also prefer something better than a floating motel 6, a floating Hampton Inn would be the best equivalency I can think of (only works if you have stayed in those US hotel chains though lol)

4) 4-5, with a night dive potentially be included in that number. If we are covering a large distance then less would potentially be acceptable. Honestly talk to good DMs about site rotation/path, you'll need to mindful about NDLs if you are hitting deep sites continually. Make sure if there are any deep "premier" sites/dives that the day before was shallower, it's earlier in the trip, etc., just try and make sure that guests don't have a low bottom time at deep sites that are booked as highlights.

5) Don't really care, I personally like to make sure all my certifications are squared away prior to a big trip along with any gear changes related to it. I suppose Nitrox would be useful, and since no dives are needed for the certification potentially easy to do.

6) Plentiful, hot, good, and some options for grab and go stuff outside of meal times (not asking for a chef to be on call 24/7 but having a place to grab some pre-prepared or packaged snacks outside of meal times is super nice). Local cold beers are always nice (please no U.S. domestic swill), tropical drinks could also be a benefit lol.

7) Optionally DM guided dives, personally, I like DM guided vacation dives (if the DM is competent) but not everyone does so hence the optional part

Not listed but some basic gear support for the inevitable gear failures/malfunctions would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom