Fiesta Americana & Cabanas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Scubabuni, here's my two cents on FA's casitas. I've been going to Cozumel for the past ten (10) years. I've stayed at the FA all but two (2) times in that period. For my first trip to FA, I chose one of the "ocean view" rooms in the main buliding. Upon initial inspection on arrival, I was very satisfied. However, the limits of the accomodations quickly presented themselves. I am not a large guy (5'11"'185 lbs.), but when I went to sit on the porcelin easy chair in the loo, my knees were pressed against the wall in front of me - not comfortable but very confining. The pumbing in the main hotel is not the greatest - poor pressure and limits on the hot water at high volume use periods. The airconditioning was ver difficult to regulate The noise blasted up from the pool/restaurant are in the front of the hotel is focused at all of the rooms' balconies of the main hotel building. Over the years the late night dancing and disco beat has lessened markedly and this noise problem seems to have passed. If you are a diver and prefer (like many) to take your expensive gear with you back to the room, you will find the facility inadequate to dry and hang the stuff - as well as a long trek to the room with wet heavy gear over slippery tile floors.

On my second visit to FA, I was offered a free upgrade to the Tropical Casitas. Being adventurous, I agreed (with some reservation). I was so pleasantly surprised. I go away on vacations to "get away" - away from the crowds, the noise and the standard attractions. As mentioned above, the casitas are "overgrown". They are in a tropical jungle atmosphere - lots of beautiful tropical vegitation, iguanas, birds, lizards, tree frogs and yes, some insects (mitigated by the forementioned tropical critters), but folks this is the tropics. Most importantly the casita accomodations are QUIET and relaxing, offering a hammock on the outdoor porch of each huge room. The rooms are huge with king size beds, sitting area, large TV, minibar and spacious bathroom. You can store/hang you gear in the bathroom and/or the porch. Yes there have been plumbing problems and that is why the units are presently closed - to repair and upgrade the facilities. The 2005 hurricane Wilma devistated the entire island of Cozumel. The FA was seriously affected as well. The lush vegitation on the property and island was given a "crew cut" and brought to within 2 meters of the surface topography, so the jungle appearance is now beginning to reestablish itself on the property and throughout the island. The entire FA hotel facility and the casitas were repaired and rejuvinated. The process continues. I have been requesting and staying in those Tropical Casitas ever since my second visit! Did I mention the casitas are very quiet?

We had done the "all inclusive" deal one (1) time and never again. The breakfasts at the FA beachside restaurant are very good. The food at the main restaurant for dinner is mean fare. The all inclusive plan tends to encourage over consumption of alcohol. That's OK once in a while, but not on a continual basis - if you are a responsible diver. We have cocktails at the FA lobby bar and then head into San Miguel (town) each evening for dinner. It is a 10-15 minute cab ride (the same with your rental car). There are some excellent restaurants, all reviewed and referenced in another thread of this forum.

In addition to the physical facilities of FA, we have found the staff to be very pleasant and accomodating. Some of these folks remember us and greet us by name when we arrive. I speak some Spanish and my SO is very fluent. We know the staff appreciates our attempt to speak, but they always put forth their best English (it is very good) and make us feel welcome.

Parking at FA is simple. It is actually closer to the casitas than the main hotel buliding.

As I have written in various threads in this forum, you are going to a foreign location to have new and exciting experiences. Don't expect Hampton Inn, Comfort Suites, or Hyatt hotels and you won't find McDonald's or Starbucks on every corner (thank God). The accomodations are very good. Enjoy the destination with its uniqueness and people. Do you want a "cookie cutter" hotel room or an accomodation with some local flavor and style (while still upscale)? Enjoy you trip.

David

think i'll bump this.

anyone stayed at the casitas recently?

Thinking of staying in them Feb 12th - 19th, 2011. Trying to find out if they have "Monkey LaLas" included in their "all-inclusive" pkg. :eek:)

Wondering if anyone has stayed in the casitas recently there is some type of super sale going on right now for them.
I have stayed at FA one time and like it a lot I did not do the all inclusive not sure if it is a deal or not. But if I go back I will do the All inclusive and let you all know.

Would someone be able to tell me if the Tropical Casitas at the Fiesta Americana are 4 units each (2 upstairs & 2 down) or 2 units total (1 up and 1 down?) Thanks in advance for your help! Diane

A few friend's of ours stayed in the casitas back in 2007 and they were quite wonderful honestly. big rooms and a big bathroom. I don't remember anything particularly dirty about them.

We've stayed at FA in the main building 3 or 4 times and every time has been great. So there isn't a frigde in the room, but that's ok. The rooms are clean and fresh and the view of the ocean makes it worth it. Plus it's quiet and free of traffic which is a plus.

Would someone be able to tell me if the Tropical Casitas at the Fiesta Americana are 4 units each (2 upstairs & 2 down) or 2 units total (1 up and 1 down?) Thanks in advance for your help! Diane

There are 4 units per bld. Two up two down. I dont know if they ever reopened the Casitas seveeral years ago. We used to stay there all the time but have not for probably 4 years. They were always very nice when we stayed there. We always enjoyed the extra room.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom