Fiji recommendations please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi
Well the other posts have said a lot, but here's my 10 cents worth. Time, budget and logistics seem to be the main issues. If you want a livaboard, it will set you back around $500 per person per night. The Naia is heavily booked so for a group, you need to look 12 months ahead, but you might get lucky. Volivoli with Siren fleet have just launched a new liveaboard which is yet to be proved, but looks very nice on paper. Island Dancer (Sera ni Wai) has seen better days I think, but is still a lovely vessel - that's the one where you may get the best deal - 12 divers only though I think.
Land based. I am biased here as I am not a fan of luxury accommodation if I am diving every day. Now if you do a 7 night livaboard, you might find that a trip to the North of Fiji, i.e. Taveuni or Savuavu is a bit of a stretch as you are going to lose a day each end travelling, + a day if you fly back to Nadi. having said that, Taveuni is a great destination and somewhere like Garden Island would probably fit the bill for your 3-5* spread. Most places offer a range of accommodation style so people can choose to some extent.
If you are stuck with 14 days, then a land based resort on or very close to Viti Levu is probably best. I do like the diving in Blight Waters and Wananavu would be your best bet there I think although they don't go to the Vatu-i-Ra passage every day, long ish boat rides that can be bumpy - but worth it.
cbm32 (aka Mike) has got Naigani summed up right. I love he place and the divign, although the closer dives can get a little samey after 3-4 days, but of course they do go over to Wakaya (45 min ride) and to E6 (1 hour) which are classic Fiji dives as Mike says. Naigani is probably the best value for divers, but it is not 4* so expectations have to be set accordingly. They way I see it, the beer is just as cold, the ocean as Blue and the sand just as white whether you are paying $700 per night or 200. The difference comes in he food, AC, beds and general quality of fittings etc. The same friendly staff are everywhere.
I think you will love whatever you choose, as long as you make sure everyone knows what to expect.
Let me know if you want any more info on any of the above.
Cheers
Greg
:cool2:

Since our dive trip to Fiji was a once-in-a-lifetime experience for us, we researched as carefully as possible and decided to explore two different areas over a total of two weeks.

During our first week, we visited Wananavu Resort and dove the Bligh Waters. I cannot recommend this highly enough. The resort was lovely, the beach was lovely, the service was fantastic and the diving was to die for! While the currents could sometimes be challenging, the numerous colorful soft corals made it worth the effort.

For our second week's stay, we flew over to the island of Taveuni and spent the week at Garden Island Resort. I think your entire group would be happy at Garden Island - we felt right at home there. I have to say that the diving at Taveuni was the best I've done anywhere...ever. Again, the currents can be challenging, but that's what feeds the AMAZING soft corals that are so prolific there. The Great White Wall is forever emblazoned in my memory banks :D

Whatever you decide, you can't go wrong diving Fiji. It's an underwater wonderland!

We have a post earlier in the Pacific Islands section for a 10 night trip to Wananavu for 5 nights and Matava for 5 nights. We did a lot of research to find what we believe are two resorts that offer some incredible diving and excellent value. At Matava Eco you will experience the Great Astrolabe Barrier Reef and at Wananavu Beach Resort you will experience Bligh Waters. I won't get commercial but our package included bure accommodations, meals, diving, and R/T air from LAX. I highly recommend these two resorts as they were amazing in putting our group package together.

Also, our website link for the trip details:

http://www.liquiddivingadventures.com/blog/post/2013/08/10/Viti-Levu-Fiji-Wananavu-Matava-Resorts-Last-Minute-Deal-10-Nights-$3639.aspx

Back
Top Bottom