Fiji's Rainbow Reef Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carriemak

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Looking to book a group trip to Fiji's Rainbow Reef Resort in May 2013. Good? Bad? Ugly? I know you have ideas and opinions, so please share. Also, coming from the US the airfare seems high. Opinions?

Hi carriemak. I see that no one has responded to your post so I will attempt. My wife and I dived the Rainbow Reef last June and you can view my trip report here and on trip advisor.

In short the diving was spectacular as was the dive op Taveuni Ocean Sports. Airfare from the US is indeed steep, but IMO the reason is lack of competition. Air Pacific is pretty much the only game in town, unless you want to go via Auckland or Sydney.

Let me know if you have add'l questions.

Dan

I've stayed at a couple other resorts that dive the rainbow reef so I can't tell you anything about that resort. The rainbow reef is in the Somosomo strait where currents can be pretty significant and the diving is world class. The great white wall and purple wall are spectacular, expecially when the current is running. The current really brings nutrients to the soft corals so they open up. The Fijian people are as nice as anyone in the world. You can expect to have a great time. My first time I was there in May and the weather was terrific. Of course I have also been there in February and the weather was, well, terrific.

I've stayed at Garden Island resort on Taveuni last December for a week and dived the same areas, great diving. Fiji is paradise and that part of Fiji is the garden of eden, go, you won't regret it.

One more thing I just thought of. I believe that the Rainbow Reef Resort is located on the south side of the island. If so, you may want to confirm with them how often they take their boats up to the rainbow reef.

Ops like GIR and Taveuni Ocean Sports go the Rainbow Reef every day, as they are located much closer than ops on the south side.

I've stayed at a resort on the south end of the island and we alternated between vuna reef one day then rainbow the next. Rainbow is best and depending how meany of you there are on the boat you can probably talk them into extra rainbow trips:)

Looking to book a group trip to Fiji's Rainbow Reef Resort in May 2013. Good? Bad? Ugly? I know you have ideas and opinions, so please share. Also, coming from the US the airfare seems high. Opinions?

I rented a house on taveuni island in june. We dove with Taveuni Dive. On two days, we went over to Rainbow Reef and picked up a couple who dove with us.

You can contact Taveuni dive for diving info.

Muriel Biebesheimer
Operations Director, Taveuni Dive
Email: taveunidivers@yahoo.com or info@taveunidive.com | phone: +011 679-828-1063
Web: http://www.taveunidive.com/ | Facebook | @TaveuniDive | On Linkedin

We get some decent packages to Garden Island that include R/T air out of LAX on Air Pacific. You might want to consider Volivoli which is a new resort we have started booking in Fiji. We had a package to Volivoli for about $3000pp which included R/T air. Kind of in transition from 2012 to 2013 prices...

Basically what they said....
Why did you pick Rainbow Reef Resort in particular? It is in a lovely location and their diving is run by Taveuni Dive, an offsite contractor - but very good.
There are lots of options depending on price and style. If you give me an idea of your criteria, I can maybe suggest some comparative locations.
Wherever you stay, you will have a blast!
Air fares? Well they are what they are I guess, but Air Pacific are, or at least were at DEMA, offering 10+1 for groups, so that might help.
Cheers
Greg

Back
Top Bottom