Filling your own tanks on a small boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boat is 9m and will house me and one other person most of the time. I'm not very big on comfort or luxury, so that's alright. I've been thinking about the big cylinders to refill the tanks from, but on that size boat it would be too big a compromise on storage I'm afraid.

When in that area however 90% of the time we will be anchored in various places, but only going into port for groceries/gas/water/... I'm not sure yet how often that will be and how the diving facilities will be in those places but it's an option worth considering. Although it must be awfully painful to be on a sailing boat in some of the best dive-water in the world with all your gear there but empty tanks that only get filled once ever week or two :p.

Been sailing all my life and used plenty of Little Bauer Juniors that go forever...they are great....If short of $$ and you hear a compressor in the anchorage go ask for a fill...most boat owners are usually friendly..there is an interesting Chinese brand selling heaps of units local and export...just for fun I am trying a couple this year...$1000 in China!! and on paper they look good (use two Bauer too)...12ltr fill in 40 minutes, so not fast.....and only AC 220V..no petrol..so would need a little 2kva petrol gen...good luck....

As has been said by Dondon, the Bauers tend to be built to last, although there are some very competitively priced "other" units out there.

However, unless you have a high powered inverter, you aren't going to get a lot of 110 or 220 power; you'll only get 12v out of a basic boat electrical system. And the power will drain fairly quickly even with a good bank of batteries. So gas really is the only way to go if you want an onboard compressor.

Back
Top Bottom