Fills in rural areas: Fire service? Hospitals?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ha -

I'm over in Cloncurry so am only a stones throw (flys flight?) away... :D

Funny - being a geo whos got plenty of abanoned mines to play with I forgot about mine rescue: I usually manage to depart the scene before the engineers move in. May have to talk to some mates at Cannington or Osbourne.

I know a few people who are in the CFA so will chat to them next time I'm in 'The Big Smoke' (Cloncurry).

Yep - the hospital was a long shot: they have various compressed gasses (NO, O2) piped to the wards and was wondering if compressed air was one of them.

Oh - any welcome to the board by the way!

Cheers,
Rohan.

I can't imagine fire departments filling their tanks with impurities any worse than some dive shop in the Caribbean. Breathing air is breathing air, and nobody is going to take chances with fire fighters, they have enough to worry about.

I can comment fully and completely on the fire service side - I know nothing about hospitals.

I've been a volunteer firefighter for 12 years and can tell you everything there is to know about SCBA (Self Contained Breathing Apparatus), (SCUBA gear minus the underwater part) compressors and the cascade systems they use to fill there cylinders with.

In the US, every year over the last 8 or so years, Congress has appropriated several hundred million dollars for fire departments to upgrade equipment. You might have heard of the AFG (Assistance to FireFighter's Grant) program, administered by the Department of Homeland Security. One of the priority equipment items is SCBA, compressors and cascade systems.

The good part for you is that fire departments that never could afford to own such compressors and cascade systems now have them. In some parts of the country even the little hillbilly hick departments have them. (That's us - I wrote the grant for ours!)

Lets talk about compressors - nearly all of the new compressors going in fire departments these days are 5000psi or higher. Some of the older compressors might only go to 3000psi.

Most fire departments use 45cu ft SCBA cylinders (OSHA 30 minute rating) at either 2216psi or 4500psi. (Same CU FT cylinder - different physical cylinder sizes.) Some also use 66cu ft or 88cu ft cylinders (OSHA 45 minute and 60 minute ratings, respectively) at 4500psi for longer duration incidents - hazmat, commercial building fires, ect.

Also as a note - fire departments don't typically talk about SCBA cylinders in terms of cu ft - they talk about OSHA minute ratings. "Firefighter Jim need to change out from a 30 minute to an hour long cylinder if he is going to suit up in the level A."

So your first question is what pressure can the donor fire department fill at? What pressure tanks do you need to have filled? If you have an old steel 72 to fill at 2250psi that shouldn't be an issue anywhere. Will the fire department have an issue if you show up and want to fill 2 pair of 119cu ft doubles, at 3442psi? They might - by the fire department's standards that is a lot of air.

For fire department's it is recommended that they fill their SCBA with CGA Grade D air or better. Most fire departments fill and test to the CGA Grade E air since many fire departments have dive teams or might have to fill tanks for dive teams called into their districts, so it just makes things easier. SCUBA requires CGA Grade E air or better.

So the next question is - Will the fire department be able to provide you with Grade E air? Most can - but most also won't have a clue what you are talking about if you ask them if they have Grade E air. All they know is weather is "PASSES" or "FAILS" the quarterly testing.

If you are looking for NAUI Grade E Modified air or O2 clean air - for partial pressure Nitrox filling - you are probably going to have an issue since I don't know of any fire departments that test there air to that standard. BUT - What you might be able to do is look at the test results and compare it to the standards below and see if it meets the standard.

What follows is the testing standards for Grade E and Modified Grade E Air:

Grade E air is a Compressed Gas Association (CGA) standard that is used in scuba. The air is clean enough to breathe but not clean enough for use in high-pressure high-oxygen mixing.

* Oxygen: 20% to 22% (balance of gas predominantly nitrogen)
* Water vapor: May vary depending on intended use
* Condensed hydrocarbons: 5 mg/m 3
* Gaseous hydrocarbons (methane): 25 ppm
* Carbon monoxide: 10 ppm
* Carbon dioxide: 1000 ppm
* Odor: none
* Sampling Frequency: Quarterly
* Lab Analysis: Recommended

Modified Grade E air is a NAUI standard used by many in the scuba industry. Usually, Grade E air is run through an additional filtration process (a/k/a ÅÉyperfiltered) to reduce the hydrocarbon content, making it more suitable for use in partial pressure blending.

* Oxygen: 20% to 22% (balance of gas predominantly nitrogen)
* Water vapor:128 ppm (v/v) -40 ŽºF Dew Point
* Condensed hydrocarbons: 0.1mg/m3
* Gaseous hydrocarbons (methane): 25 ppm
* Solid particulate: less than 2 microns
* Carbon monoxide: 2 ppm
* Carbon dioxide: 500 ppm
* Odor: none
* Sampling Frequency: Quarterly
* Lab Analysis: Recommended

Hopefully that should make the fire departments abilities clearer.

Dave

Last edited:
Ha -

Yep - the hospital was a long shot: they have various compressed gasses (NO, O2) piped to the wards and was wondering if compressed air was one of them.

Hospitals really have no need to fill a tank of with air, they likely wouldn't have the equipment to do so.

But,

Usually the O2 tanks they have are filled by a 3rd party vendor, but in some cases, in really, really, really rural area's and battlezones, they may "make" thier own o2 with special equipment and fill thier own o2 tanks. In this case they would have a compressor but I dont know..1 what kind of pressure they can generate or 2. what kind of adaptor you would need.

So I guess its worth a shot to ask to speak to the "Maintenance" or "Plant Operations" or "Clinical engineering" manager (these are the common job titles in the states of people who would at least know what your talking about)
and see what they could do if anything.

I can't imagine fire departments filling their tanks with impurities any worse than some dive shop in the Caribbean. Breathing air is breathing air, and nobody is going to take chances with fire fighters, they have enough to worry about.

Not True! There are different grades of pure air supplied by compressors. Some out of the way Fire Departments may have compressors that are 30 years old, and located in the engine bay. They compress the panks while the trucks are running ( I've been there). I have been a carreer FF for 24 years I have seen and heard it all. Bad air in gets bad air out.

Most modern fire departments use 4500 fiber wrapped bottles. The valve is a standard thread - not a DIN valve.

Steve

Some out of the way Fire Departments may have compressors that are 30 years old, and located in the engine bay. They compress the banks while the trucks are running....... Bad air in gets bad air out.Steve

This is a very good point and something I didn't think to include in my summery. Make sure the fire department maintains there air system and has it tested like they should. The compressor should be getting its incoming air from a relatively clean source.

I know a few people who are in the CFA so will chat to them next time I'm in 'The Big Smoke' (Cloncurry).

i was going to suggest CFA - they're the most likely to have the sort of filling gear you need, although not sure what pressures they use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom