Film anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most of my photography is in the lakes in the low viz conditions and it is all wide angle (wrecks)

IMHO, there is not yet a camera on the market - digital or flm SLR that can beat the Nik V with 15mm lens while shooting wide open (f2.8)

Unfortunately, Nik V is not rated to 200ft + depths - so i might house my F100 in Aquatica or Nexus at somepoint

Vlada

1) Sea and Sea MX5
2) Oly 4040 with PT10 housing

and my baby:

3) Nikon F80 in an NX80 housing

So I went Film to Digital and back to Film.

I am Irish though!

Still using film. I own a Nikon 990 ( for several years) and while convenient to edit and possibly retake a shot; in the end nothing can compare with a fine grain film. At best, you're really pushing a digital camera to give you a "Wall Hanger" of more than 8X10! If I'm spending $XXXX.XX dollars on a dive trip; I'm not going to scrimp on a few rolls of film.

I have both film and digital.

Have two Nikonos V with a few lenses and strobes. Great results so far, maybe I have just grown used to it over the years.

The Canon S40 in casing is OK. Still learning how to use it properly underwater. That shutter lag is real annoying. It seems to have a tendency to overexpose when the subject is shiny or has white in spot metering mode. But once you bother to go through the adjustments, the picture quality can be good; but not as great as the Nikonos. One good thing with a 1 gig microdrive, you can take a lot of photos and movies. Since it needs no chemical processing, instant feed back that you screwed up!

Canon AE1 with marine capsul housing and Nikonos V, SB 105.
Canon is still without flash so I use BW dia Agfa Scala, othervise I use Fuji Sensia or Provia

I still use the sealife film camera rated to 164 feet and use a strobe and take good pictures some day when i can really justify the money its going to cost to really upgrade I will go to digital
my question is this why dont they make the cases rated more than usually 100 feet what are we wreck divers supose to do at 130 and 140 feet .

I just bought my first camera...:D

Okay, the story is, I've contemplated whether to go digital or film for over a year. I finally went with a film. I love slides. What finally convinced is that I know how to go from slide to digital but not the other way.

I’m bought a used Nikonos IV-A with a strobe.

an Ikelite Auto35 w/ strobe. An inexpensive, hassle-free system. And the photos are surprisingly good considering the camera it uses...

Wasn't sure I was going to enjoy lugging a camera around on dives, but I found I really like uw photography...

I'll probably upgrade to a digital at some point.

Back
Top Bottom