Film Crew Stranded in Quito airport during the uprising

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Randy Harris

Executive Producer
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
There is an uprising going down in Ecuador today and we are stranded in the airport and being told not to go back into the city until further notice.

Thanks to the Aggressor agents here in Quitio and the crew in the office for looking out for us. We definately would have been a bit freaked out if it were not for them.

Enough city wildlife, we are hoping things settle down and we make it to Galapagos tomorrow for some whale shark and hammerhead action.

Last edited:
Yikes, Randy. Stay low. What's all the uproar about, do you have any idea?

~Cheryl

A quick google search indicates that the police are staging an uprising over budget cuts that effect their pay and benefits.

That is what started all of this. Then the idiots took to the streets and starting looting, mugging, holding up banks etc. because the cops were striking.

More specifically:

"The protests were triggered by a law passed by congress yesterday on Wednesday that would end the practice of giving medals and bonuses with each promotion. It would also extend from five to seven years the usual period required for promotions. "

Randy - Safe travels home to you and your crew. Keep us posted.

If you can believe the stories I've read, the recent law that was passed did not affect pay or bonuses... but then the source I saw may have been biased. It claimed that anti-government individuals on the right fanned the flames with lies. Hmmm... that does sound familiar! Apparently the military sided with the elected government and quelled the police.

Hope you guys get out to the Galapagos quickly.

If you can believe the stories I've read, the recent law that was passed did not affect pay or bonuses... but then the source I saw may have been biased. It claimed that anti-government individuals on the right fanned the flames with lies. Hmmm... that does sound familiar! Apparently the military sided with the elected government and quelled the police.

Hope you guys get out to the Galapagos quickly.

It certainly does. Castro and Chevas...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom