Filter, software editing, or both

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

heehee62

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a gopro hero3 white.

Can I get better colors just by video editing with software than with a filter?

If I did both video editing and used a filter, would I get far better results than just editing or filter alone? Note, maximum time I'm willing to spend per video with editing option is about 10 minutes.

I'm trying to decide whether to buy a filter or video editing software (it's only colors I'm interested in - I know I can fix other stuff with software too but color is most important to me). I'd buy a light but that's too expensive right now.

Thanks.

The best colors IMO and the way I do it is with both filter and editing. Use a red filter and record in Camera Raw mode for white balance if your White edition allows so in its settings. Then you can use GoPros free Studio 2 software and do simple white balancing color correction. All you do in GoPro Studio is use the WB picker/dropper tool and select an object in the video frame that should be white or close to it like the sandy bottom and it should look pretty good. You can see the results in most of my videos following the link in my signature below.

El Pistoffo. Thank you so much. Very helpful advice.

Your videos look fantastic by the way. I assume you used a light instead of a filter with the Cozumel palancar caves is that right?

would the cheap night lights you can rent from the scuba shops produce anything close to your result in the Caves video? I think I might use filter when I want more long shots and lights when I want mid to close up video ( unless you think otherwise). Can't afford my own light right now.

El Pistoffo. Thank you so much. Very helpful advice.

Your videos look fantastic by the way. I assume you used a light instead of a filter with the Cozumel palancar caves is that right?

would the cheap night lights you can rent from the scuba shops produce anything close to your result in the Caves video? I think I might use filter when I want more long shots and lights when I want mid to close up video ( unless you think otherwise). Can't afford my own light right now.

I've never used rented lights before. If they are video lights then you would get similar results. If they are regular narrow beam torches, you while get an overexposed hot spot in the center of the light.

I only used lights when I was either in the caves or really close up on some of the critters otherwise it was red filter all the time. If you have a good amount of ambient light, the red filter works plenty fine. If you use the lights fairly close up on an object, remove the filter otherwise the image will be overly red.

Thanks for all your help. I think I'll get the filter and the software. I'll call the rental companies but I think you're right, they probably only rent torch lights.

Bluewaterphoto rents professional quality strobes and video lights at affordable rates.

No Affiliation, I've just rented from Scott before and he's great.

Thanks mpagri. I emailed bluewaterphoto. Hopefully they'll get back to me. I might end up building my own lights but if the rental cost is right, it'd definitely save me effort.

Hi El do you also set Protune on? I tried this once and noticed that the recorded footage straight off the SD was very noticeably grainy and down in resolution compared to all auto

I found all auto gives high quality results other than the fluctuation WB issues

Hi El do you also set Protune on? I tried this once and noticed that the recorded footage straight off the SD was very noticeably grainy and down in resolution compared to all auto

I found all auto gives high quality results other than the fluctuation WB issues

I always use Protune. What I find is that the untouched image is very washed out but that is how it should be believe it or not. Adjusting the contrast/brightness correctly gives excellent results. The WB fluctuations are not Ptotune related but Auto WB related. Protune, WB Raw will always look less than stellar at first with no post correcting but there is more information to work with in post and the results can be excellent but extra work IS required. It's all up to how much effort your willing to put into the post editing.

The Protune option, turns off many of the cameras builtin Sharpening and Contrast filtering.

Within the GoPro Studio software - there is an Profile you can select to reapply these filters to Protune captured videos.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom