Fin choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JDJ

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am a new diver, diving up here in the Pacific NW, and annual warmer water trips. I started out with Hollis F2 fins. I recently tried and am kind of sold on the Scubapro Supernova. I like the flexibility and more relaxed swim with them. Though, it is a huge expense. I also think they might help with small body adjustments, like turning, and (what I call ruddering - dont know the tech term). I have researched and researched to find that the good diver makes the equipment work. So, are my F2's just fine (they are similar to the RK3), or should I be kind to myself and get the extra out of the Supernovas. Also, I dont want to look pretentious with such fancy gear!! I am usually so good at making decisions, but stumped on this! Thanks!

Super nova look like they would fill the bill but I haven’t been able to dive them yet, SP GoSport are hard to beat.

How would SP GoSport do in cold water?
Actually, the temp of the water would seem to have little to do with it. Let me describe the configuration: 7mm wetsuit, basic minimalist plate/wing, single tank. For warm water the only thing that would change is the thickness of wetsuit.
I’m looking at changing fins too.
I’ve been in SP Jets now for 20 years and looking to expand my horizons, so I’m going to watch this thread.

There are a few features/characteristics of fins to consider:
- the size of the blade (shorter blades are preferable in tight spaces, for instance)
- stiffness of the material (goes to power and precision of the fin [stiffer] vs ease of kicks and less fatiguing [softer])
- the dry weight of the fins (relevant for air travel)
- buoyancy (negative, positive, neutral). Floaty feet (in a drysuit)? Go for a more negatively buoyant fin. Heavy feet? Get yourself a positively buoyant fin. Unfortunately, not all manufacturers list all this information. Buoyancy does not necessarily correlate with the dry weight of a fin...

And then of course there is the style and look. But that would be less relevant, technically, IMO.

Are you diving wet or dry up here? I really like my Mares Quattroa for diving wet. Fantastic fin for flutter kick and do a reasonable job with frog. I'm going to try them with my dry suit in a few weeks but am thinking I may need a heavier jet style fin to keep my feet from being too floaty.

- the size of the blade (shorter blades are preferable in tight spaces, for instance)
- stiffness of the material (goes to power and precision of the fin [stiffer] vs ease of kicks and less fatiguing [softer])
- buoyancy (negative, positive, neutral). Floaty feet (in a drysuit)? Go for a more negatively buoyant fin. Heavy feet? Get yourself a positively buoyant fin. Unfortun
- buoyancy (negative, positive, neutral). Floaty feet (in a drysuit)? Go for a more negatively buoyant fin. Heavy feet? Get yourself a positively buoyant fin. Unfortunately, not all manufacturers list all this information. Buoyancy does not necessarily correlate with the dry weight of a fin...

And then of course there is the style and look. But that would be less relevant, technically, IMO.

ately, not all manufacturers list all this information. Buoyancy does not necessarily correlate with the dry weight of a fin...

I love these videos. So helpful. I went back to the pool yesterday and decided on the RK3 over the Supernova. I will wear 1 lb weights until I get better with this drysuit!. I feel like I can maneuvers better with the RK3 and they are more comfortable than Hollis F2. The RK3 has more of a shoe shape vs boxy and that is helpful. Thank you all.

Are you diving wet or dry up here? I really like my Mares Quattroa for diving wet. Fantastic fin for flutter kick and do a reasonable job with frog. I'm going to try them with my dry suit in a few weeks but am thinking I may need a heavier jet style fin to keep my feet from being too floaty.
I will use these for both. I finally got a drysuit because I am tired of freezing! The RK3 is favored at my dive shop, so I took the plunge!

How would SP GoSport do in cold water?
Actually, the temp of the water would seem to have little to do with it. Let me describe the configuration: 7mm wetsuit, basic minimalist plate/wing, single tank. For warm water the only thing that would change is the thickness of wetsuit.
I’m looking at changing fins too.
I’ve been in SP Jets now for 20 years and looking to expand my horizons, so I’m going to watch this thread.
In performance they are very close to jets, I’ve used them dry with no problem, you being one of the few with big enough feet would you like me to send a pair to try?

I have a pair of Hollis F2s that I only use in my aquarium volunteer diving; they are not very comfortable on my foot, and don't dive me the performance of my DR XTs or my Deep6 Eddys. But the F2s are easy to carry around...small and light.

Doesn't fin choice have a lot to do with the person too? Strength of legs, speed of your kick, etc...

My 1st fins I bought when getting certified OW were Cressi Sub Frogs. Not for any reason other tan that's what they had in the shop and the price worked.... I never loved them. Often felt I was horribly weak or something trying to keep up with others. Once on a dive an instructor let me borrow some Maris Avati Quatro fins. WOW! I felt like someone had kicked on the turbo charger! Guess what I bought when I got home! I've dove those fins ever since...and plan to continue when I get back into diving!

that said, I'd be open to trying others. I think that's the thing...you never know till you try a pair how they will work for you

Back
Top Bottom