Fin choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Get a pair of Mares Avanti Quattro fins, they are arguably the best paddle fins.
Those are what I started with. I liked them, but I always felt like the scoop channel design created a dead spot during a flutter kick when your legs is changing direction. As your leg/foot stops and switches direction the inside of the fin will flop and there will be several inches of movement where nothing happens. I sometimes use a very small or shallow flutter kick to minimize my slipstream profile. If you kick too far out of this narrow slipstream profile with a wide aggressive flutter kick then the drag created by your legs being too spread apart can be detrimental. So by keeping the flutter kick shorter but quicker can increase speed with less work because water being very dense, any small source of drag can affect efficiency. That’s one reason I switched to Jets because they don’t have that dead spot, but I’m still looking for something better.

In performance they are very close to jets, I’ve used them dry with no problem, you being one of the few with big enough feet would you like me to send a pair to try?
When are you going to be in Monterey next?
Or, do you ever come up my way? Sonoma or Mendo?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom