fin shopping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mares foot pockets (at least on the Avanti quattro's) do run large. I've happily been using a pair with hard sole boots for ages and recently had to get a pair of soft sole boots (all I could find in this Lilliputian country for my size 13 feet). The fins still work, but feel a bit looser than before.

Fins are a very personal thing - what works for some may not work for your wife. Is there any way she can get to try before she buys?

Locally the selection is limited to 2 shops. The one we frequent carries SP, cressi, atomic and oceanic. Trying what the have available would be possible, but last time I was in there the fin selection was wanting.

Locally the selection is limited to 2 shops. The one we frequent carries SP, cressi, atomic and oceanic. Trying what the have available would be possible, but last time I was in there the fin selection was wanting.

Do they have a club/dive school that has trips to a local site or pool sessions?

If you can't get to try before you buy, look for something fairly stiff if she frog kicks. I don't think I've seen a bad suggestion yet, but I would add Scubapro Jets to the mix - I love mine, but as I say, it is a very personal thing.

I use the HOG Tech 2 fins and Hollis F-1's. For open water or current it's the F-1's. Local stuff, quarries, and wrecks where I don't need the length and sheer power of the F-1's it's the HOG's. Great for travel as well since the overall length on the large is less than 22 inches vs the F-1's at nearly 26 or so. I use the large with my 3 mil and dry suit boots. Size 8-9 wide street shoes depending on who makes em. For my size nine hardsole 6mm boots I need an XL.

Oh darn! Just a ruined fin. I was so looking forward to another "discussion" on the virtues of paddle vs splits fins.

You don't have radio out there?

I have dived the ScubaPro Jets and they are heavy for travel IMO. I am currently diving the Hollis F1's and love them but they are also heavy for travel. Have you thought about the UTD neutrally/positive buoyant fins? Not sure if that is a good choice or not being as I have never dived them but they sound good from the reviews I have read. A buddy of mine in Australia dives them but I have not heard from him how well he likes them yet.

Here is the URL for them if you want to check them out:

UTD Online Store - +1 855 DIVEUTD (348-3883) or +1 760 585-9676 - sales@utdequipment.com

I have been diving with the Mares Volo Power fins since OW, and they were showing a lot of wear. I wanted a smaller travel fin so I bought the F2's. The footbed on the F2's is wider, and they are lighter than my Mares. Under normal conditions, the F2's are awesome and very maneuverable in tight places. They are also best suited for the frog kick in my opinion. My only issue was if you are diving in heavy surge or a strong current, they do not seem quit up to the task like the Mares. My next set of fins will be the Mares Quattro Plus, mainly because I dive in Key Largo a lot, where the current can kick up anytime.
The spring straps on the F2's is adjustable, so with a thick boot they should be able to fit, unless she has a small foot size.

Thanks for the responses. Even though we run into current and some surge where we usually dive it's probably what most of you would consider light at best. I'll start looking at the quattros and see how they rate. She pretty ambivalent (smh) about her fins. Her only real concern is that the water's wArm and the fish are pretty.

The Hollis F2's are heavier than the OMS Slipstreams, but they work the same. Very rigid and Jet fin like.
I didn't get a chance to try them out though, because my buddy/the owner had bigger feet than me.

I own and LOVE my Hollis F2 fins. I also wear hard soled boots, size 6 and use the frog kick. These are not as heavy as the jet fins, but rigid enough and travel well. My LDS moved the springs for me since I have a smaller foot. I can't say enough good things about these. I would buy these fins all day long. Take a closer look, do the research and let her decide, but I think this is a good fit for what she might be looking for.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom