fin shopping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am looking for some new fins. I have a set of Aqua Lung X-shots that have the cracking problem. My AL dealer has been working with AL to replace the fins.....However, I am in a state of limbo. The process of getting new X-Shots from AL has been about a month now, and I have a dive coming up. I don't currently own a backup pair of fins, as I have only been diving for about a year. So in order not to miss my next dive opportunity, I may need to buy another pair of fins. I guess when and if the new X-Shots come in I will just keep them for backup.

What fins do you folks like as far as reliability, comfort, and performance. Thanks for you responses.

To answer the OP's question -- for a warm water paddle fin, I really like the Dive Rite EXPs. They have a little bigger foot pocket than the same size Jets, and a much longer blade. They're stiff, though -- great for propulsion if you have reasonably strong legs, and super for maneuvering, but not low effort.

DKL, you might want to start a new thread with your question, and include a bunch more information about what kind of diving you do. Fins vary in stiffness, buoyancy, foot pocket, and kicking effort. What works for a very occasional warm water diver who has bad problems with muscle cramps won't work for a cave diver battling Florida flow.

Thanks for the advise. I may start a new thread, but thought I would just piggyback on this one.

I dive mostly fresh water caverns in central Florida(blue grotto, devils den, manatee springs, paradise springs etc...), not cave certified, and some salt water here in Florida. I'm looking for an average divers fin nothing requiring massive leg muscles. Just a good solid average fin for an average diver. My current fins a neg. buoyant so I guess that's fine. I would like a set that requires boots, as the water in the springs is 72 degrees constant and don't want me feet to be exposed. Any help would be great!!

I love my Atomic Split Fins,

Small flutter kicks go a LOOONG way. But they aren't cheap.

If you're looking for mostly tropical reef diving with some occasional current, you might try Mares Wave fins. I have 60+ dives on mine in those types of conditions. They are a composite fin with stiff edges and a softer center channel. They are relatively light. They are not as compact as some of the "tec" fins, but they are maneuverable enough for frog, heliocopter, and back kicks and they handle current very well. I haven't had any cramping issues to date. They received some good press a couple of years ago, but I haven't read much about them since. Anyway, I have bungies on mine and I've been very happy with them. YMMV.

Thanks for all the responses. I ended up purchasing her a pair of F2s. She tried them in the pool yesterday and liked them. We'll see what she thinks next weekend in open water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom