Finally Certified

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ilander

New
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi,

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone on the board. I've been lurking about since I signed up for an OW class in Dec and soaking up the information. Alot of the tips I have read were helpful in buying gear and going through the process.

In any event, I wanted to share the experience I had in my check out dives.

I was diving 1 on 1 with an instructor off the gulf coast of florida, water temp 57, a 5mm wetsuit, and viz was about 2'. There was so much silt the instructor and I needed to be inches from each other to see and interpret hand signals. Most of the time he was only a shadow. Not at all what I expected for my first ocean dives.

I have to admit that as a complete newbie the low viz was freaky, but with the instructor close by I knew I was safe. We did 3 dives that day and all the needed skills.

The post-mortum: If i had been with someone less experienced (than the instructor) I might have called the dives, I know that I just dont have enough experience yet to be diving in conditions like that.

But, as a result of this experience I now recognize that I can handle those conditions if i get into them during a dive (here in the NE, you can go from 20' to 2' of viz in 5min) and that low/no viz is not a reason to panic. I feel like if I am somewhere and it turns to muck I can handle it.

All in all a great expereince. Now I'm looking forward to getting in the water and starting to learn about this sport.

Happy diving.
Ian

Congratulations Ian,

I'm happy to hear that collectively SB was helpful.

You have a healthy respect for the conditions and it will serve you well.

If you find yourself near Southern Maine looking to dive PM me, maybe we can get out.

Normally I'd suggest a cold water orientation but in 57F you have probably already done the hood and gloves thing.

Pete

PS when you have a moment adding some detail to your profile would be cool.

Congratulations Ian - you are wise to realize that depending on conditions and previous experience, you can always call a dive. There will still be plenty of them left!

Congrats on completing your OW!

Keep learning!

Happy to hear you completed you OW. Nothing keep you alive better then knowing when to call a dive.
Stay safe and Happy diving!!

congratulations on getting certified....2' viz can be a pain, but you did it...We were certified in Toledo Bend Res. which can be very low viz, too....Always remember, 2 ' viz is really 4', 2 ' in front & 2' behind.......good luck........

Congrats, I have 2 weeks left. Used to live in CT, the sound can get realy messy fast!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom