Finally dove with DIR buddies. What a mess!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lawman once bubbled...
This is like trying to banter with a room full
of Forrest Gumps.

You're being goaded kid. Don't make it so easy.

Hey Lawman,

BCS put out an offer which I thought was quite generous. I think it might be worthwhile to you to see a real DIR diver in action, instead of what you perceive to be one. I've seen both BCS and his partner dive, and they are really quite incredible in the water.

Instead of bashing something you know nothing of, take the time and see what it's REALLY about. It might even change YOUR mind!

Doc Intrepid once bubbled...
that continuing to post to this thread is similar to beating a horse that died quite awhile ago.

I think they're kicking the bones around, at this point.

detroit diver once bubbled...

Hey Lawman,

Instead of bashing something you know nothing of, take the time and see what it's REALLY about. It might even change YOUR mind!

I think he should change his mind because there's something wrong with the one he has.:D

I think Lawman should join us over at Gilboa the 27th. He can show us where we've been screwing up.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
I think Lawman should join us over at Gilboa the 27th. He can show us where we've been screwing up.

That's great-except it's on the 30th!!!:wacko:

detroit diver once bubbled...

That's great-except it's on the 30th!!!:wacko:

At least I wasn't going to be late this time.

I'm so disappointed....

I've just wasted a lot of time reading this ENTIRE STUPID THREAD and there is one burning question that has not been addressed....

So, somebody actually met Lawman in the flesh... yet no one has posted any information about him! So - how old is the guy? What did he profess as his profession? How did he behave in person? (Substantially different from his Scubaboard behavoir, I'll wager...) Is he horribly malformed physically, which would explain his sociopathic behavior? Please tell all!

:boom:

heh heh

I have read several of the first section of this thread, then skipped around a bit (don't have time for it all). One question was asked very early, and it dealt with seeing a photo of a "slick" diver, one who was uncluttered. I have decided to show what it used to be like, before DIR, before NASDS, before the arguments about equipment when just being underwater was thrilling.

This photo was taken in Clear Lake, Oregon sometime in the about 1974. It shows me in a pull-ove 1/4" wet suit with attached hood (White Stag wet suit, Portland, Oregon), single 72 steel tank with a "J" valve, and a weight belt with 16 pounds of lead on it. As you can see, it was possible in those times (depth here was 40-50 feet) to have buoyancy control without a BC! I know this is a sacrilege with the DIR types, but it still is possible. The regulator has two hoses, but they are both breathing tubes (Dacor Dial-a-Breath, upgraded to a better-performing Dacor by buying the parts and putting it together). The tank harness was by USD, and had yellow plastic top straps that kept slipping off my shoulders, and a crotch strap to keep the regulator lower on my back for easier breathing (pretty critical for double-hose regs).

What was the feeling? Total freedom of motion, unrestricted by equipment except for the wet suit (and this was the days of powder, and ripped suits if you weren't careful, as there was no nylon lining). Today's BCs have quite a bit of drag, and you will never know about that unless you dive without the BC (not a recommendation, just a statement about how the water feels when swimming underwater).

It was days when we were thrilled to pick up an RC Cola a fisherman had lost (and when it was $0.25 to buy one!). Diving was really fun, because very simply we were breathing underwater! Imagine that, breathing underwater! It sounds so archane, but it was true.

This thread seems mostly a waste of time, and an ego trip by many. I offer this photo simply to stimulate you to think of why diving is such a thrill, and communicate that rather than this babble about DIR.

SeaRat

John C. Ratliff once bubbled...
It shows me in a pull-ove 1/4" wet suit with attached hood (White Stag wet suit, Portland, Oregon)

Hey, I want a suit like that! I've put on a couple of extra pounds, and vertical stripes are slimming.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom