finally making it to morehead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sherbetchris

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
hi all, heading to morehead june 8-10/11 for a few days of wreck diving with olympus diving, just wondering is a full 3 mm suit enough to get me by, planning on hitting the u-352 etc, and also, i believe the standard nitrox down there is a 30 mix? should be fuin, dropped the dive computer and am diving tables and a bottom timer for the first time without the puter, looking forward to giving my brain a workout too!
any wrecks I should make a priority of hitting?
Thanks!

sherbetchris:
...is a full 3 mm suit enough to get me by?
Yes.
sherbetchris:
...i believe the standard nitrox down there is a 30 mix?
Yes.
sherbetchris:
...any wrecks I should make a priority of hitting?
My favorites are U-352, Papoose, Aeolus, Caribsea and Atlas. Usually your destination is determined after you are already under way, so you may not get to pick and choose. Have fun!

One bad thing unless you are part of a group that has the majority of the boat you won't get too much of a say as to what you're going to do. That time of year and on a weekend you'll probably be limited to the following wrecks: U352, Hutton(Papoose), Aeolus, SPAR, and maybe the Schurz. If the weather is iffy you'll most likely get the Suloide or the Indra. All are great wrecks. I prefer the Schurz out of the ones I listed. If you want to see sandtigers you'll want to do the Hutton, Aeolus, or Spar. You might get lucky and get to go east to do the Caribsea or Atlas. If you're renting tanks aluminum 100's are available as well as the 80's. Nitrox is the way to go.

I dove the Schurz April 29th for the 1st time & it was a real nice dive. The 4-6ft seas werent very friendly, but the blue water & 50-60 ft easily of vis made the trip worth the effort. There were a couple of Sandtigers , but they were very shy. We did the Spar as our 2nd dive & even tho vis dropped to about 20ft & green it was a sweet dive with plenty of Sandtigers to keep you in awe.
Some pics are here. http://scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=189859

Go ahead and call ahead and ask for the u boat it will help your chances of hitting it. Also if your diving like 2 or 3 days you'll probably hit it at least once.

thanks guys, also are steel hp 100's available to rent down there?

Ah, did you say you weren't using a computer? You will be much safer and have more diving time with a computer than using a bottom timer and the dive tables. I live in NC and have dived many of those wrecks. I would never go without my computer.

Enjoy yourself and be safe.

usually the boat votes on the way out based on what the weather's doing, what vis was like on different wrecks yesterday, and who wants to go where. if you want the 352, just talk it up a bit before the vote. if it's not on the ballot, there's a reason! :D

Not at all about this thread, but how's your baby?

Back
Top Bottom