Finding work as a DM/Instuctor in Japan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

db215

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've lived in Japan for a few years, but now I've grown kind of bored of teaching English.

How feasible is it to find work as a DM or Instructor in Japan (presuming I'm qualified and have six-months experience in Thailand)? I'd be happy to move to any part of the country, including Okinawa. My Japanese skills are N2 level.

What are the length of the seasons? How stable is the industry? Can I expect livable wages?

Any help from you guys would be a huge help to me. Cheers!

Dive instructors in Okinawa get paid from Y150-250,000 a month depending on qualifications and experience. Japanese skills help but there is still a very small market for foreign instructors here in Okinawa. Thailand does not have the best rep for producing good instructors.

Most dive guides are full Instructors.

In Izu, the main season runs from March to November, but we dive year round, although not every weekend like in summer.

Having Level 2 Japanese will help tremendously, as you would be dealing with a lot of Japanese boat captains, dive service staff, etc. A valid Japanese drivers license is essential as well.

Where in Thailand will you do your DM/OWSI? There are a few reputable schools (and moreover Course Directors) that we trust, but many others that are Instructor factories. Do not just choose on price, choose on the strength of the instructional staff.

Ping me if you need any further information.

Back
Top Bottom