Fine tuning of buoyancy distribution.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes.

I assume you mean 200fpm. It is very challenging when you are very draggy. For contrast, dolphins do 200 fpm when they are sleeping. So, the level of challenge for a particular speed is very dependent on the total drag of the system.

I'm working on an article regarding all of this. I'll link it to a thread in the "basic scuba discussions" section when it is ready.

Yes fpm.

Let me know when you approach the drag coefficient of a cetacean. :)

Tobin

Ha! Let the Navy know, too; they'll pay you handsomely for that information.
Mmmm... No they won't.

Well, they will pay one of their industry friends handsomely, but they probably wouldn't pay me anything.

Mmmm... No they won't.

Well, they will pay one of their industry friends handsomely, but they probably wouldn't pay me anything.
You are too paranoid. If you really get a solution, PM me and I'll give you the name of the guy at the Office of Naval Research to talk to. There will be a lot of bureaucratic paperwork to go through, so it is probably easier just to patent it and license it to one of those companies you seem to hate.

Yes.

I assume you mean 200fpm. It is very challenging when you are very draggy. For contrast, dolphins do 200 fpm when they are sleeping. So, the level of challenge for a particular speed is very dependent on the total drag of the system.

I'm working on an article regarding all of this. I'll link it to a thread in the "basic scuba discussions" section when it is ready.
You don't really believe that "drag" is the only reason dolphins can swim at that speed but humans can't (with any regularity). They have a completely different muscle structure, thousands of years of evolution, and the ability to hold their breath for 20 minutes, to say the least. Drag is the least of the impact the reasons they swim that fast.

You don't really believe that "drag" is the only reason dolphins can swim at that speed but humans can't (with any regularity). They have a completely different muscle structure, thousands of years of evolution, and the ability to hold their breath for 20 minutes, to say the least. Drag is the least of the impact the reasons they swim that fast.
Seriously??? 200fpm is not that fast. It's close to, but short of 2 knots. The structure and streamlining of a dolphin is not required to get 2 knots. A person with decent fins can easily do 2 knots so long as they have not carelessly attached a bunch of crap to their body to slow them down.

Seriously??? 200fpm is not that fast. It's close to, but short of 2 knots. The structure and streamlining of a dolphin is not required to get 2 knots. A person with decent fins can easily do 2 knots so long as they have not carelessly attached a bunch of crap to their body to slow them down.
I give up. You will believe what you want and I will believe what I want. My physics and math knowledge tells me that efficiency is great but won't give a scuba diver any real return on the effort it takes to implement it.

I give up. You will believe what you want and I will believe what I want. My physics and math knowledge tells me that efficiency is great but won't give a scuba diver any real return on the effort it takes to implement it.
Yea. It's kind of an industry wide problem. That's why I'm attempting to do something about it.

I hope you will take the time to read the article when it comes out.

Absolutely, I'll read it. Knowledge is great, even if I don't think it's practical to implement it.

Absolutely, I'll read it. Knowledge is great, even if I don't think it's practical to implement it.

2 knots is 1 m/s. That's about my workout speed for front crawl. Judging from my breathing at that speed, a 80 cu ft tank would last me about 3 minutes at the surface. Not interested.

Back
Top Bottom