Finished my pool portion but not going to do OW can I still get any kind of cert?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This reminds me of a friend of mine who decided to take an OW class at the same time that I was auditing as a refresher. The story had a bitter sweet conclusion. My friend managed to overcome his fear of water (he got pushed into the pool and almost drowned as a kid) and quite enjoyed the pool sessions. Unfortunately, his ears bothered him in the pool so he chose not to follow up with the open water dives to complete his certification. At least the dive shop broke up the cost and he wasn't out the money for those dives, but he never did get a C-card out of the experience.

One thing I was reminded of was just how important gear sales are to the dive shop. I overheard countless students being sold gear before ever certifying. I realize it's a business and no one is forcing them to buy gear, but I could never be a salesperson and convince someone to make a premature gear purchase.

I hope your ears get better! So sorry to hear you had a lousy experience.
Had a guy try pushing gear on me when I took my first class. Little did he know I already ordered from an online shop. His quote vs the online store was a difference of 1100$ this person no longer works in there. Talked to the shop owner a few months later and found out the guy was pushing unnecessary gear on lots of people and he was let go because of his aggressive sales tactics. I'm sure the owner didn't mind selling loads of gear but he rather his shop have a good reputation.

Sent from my galaxy S5 Active.

To be honest my girlfriend had a horrible time, we had some really slow ppl in our group and we had to wear 7 mil suits and hoods in 105 degree weather with the pool being 86 degrees, we were there for 6 hours for both days and the instructors would not let us get out to use the rest rooms or get water, so it was not a pleasant experience and this was from a 5 star padi shop. About 40 percent of the class had already dropped out.

In my OW class, and other class, I wore what I would be wearing in the OW dives when I was in the pool. So yes, I was once in 7mm+7mm farmer john in 80+ water, and once in drysuit with 400g in same water. The purpose is to get you familiar with the equipment so that you don't have to deal with new equipment in OW. It is not un-usual at all.

6 hours x 2 days, total of 12 hours is not long for OW pool session either. If anything, it is the format of the class. My OW was spread out 4 weekdays, 4 hours per day in pool. The not letting you out for restroom and water part is NOT usual tho. In fact, it does sound ridiculous

Had a guy try pushing gear on me when I took my first class. Little did he know I already ordered from an online shop. His quote vs the online store was a difference of 1100$ this person no longer works in there. Talked to the shop owner a few months later and found out the guy was pushing unnecessary gear on lots of people and he was let go because of his aggressive sales tactics. I'm sure the owner didn't mind selling loads of gear but he rather his shop have a good reputation.

Sent from my galaxy S5 Active.
There's a shop in my city that I avoid like the plague. Just want to browse? Here for pool practice? Just want to discuss local diving or potentially taking a course? Doesn't matter! You gotta buy EVERYTHING in the shop!! No... thanks I'll rent tanks and buy air fills elsewhere...

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I went to my doctor for the medical waiver to be signed off, he seemed not to know a lot about diving and simply stated that if I can't equilize the ear drum will just pop and it will then equilize. I was actually very surprised that he signed off on it. I don't know if I should try to get my padi folder back from them to keep if she ever wanted to continue to get certified.

To be honest my girlfriend had a horrible time, we had some really slow ppl in our group and we had to wear 7 mil suits and hoods in 105 degree weather with the pool being 86 degrees, we were there for 6 hours for both days and the instructors would not let us get out to use the rest rooms or get water, so it was not a pleasant experience and this was from a 5 star padi shop. About 40 percent of the class had already dropped out.

My question to you is :
If you both did not enjoy your dive experience why continue. Say you tried it it wasn't for you and move on. What good would a card from Padi do you if you knew you could not dive becasue your ears and you did not enjoy it. Think of it like a dinner you ordered and took a couple bits of and said you did not like it. Push it away and move on.

My oldest daughter, her husband as well as myself are avid divers , my youngest daughter is certified complete with a Dry suit cert and said it wasn't for her. She did the course did the certs dives as well as two additional dives and said nope don't like it. cross that off the bucket list. She has moved on and that is what I encourage you to do. Don't push yourself to do something that could get you hurt especially if you did not LOVE IT!

Back
Top Bottom