Finned shark at market...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nope.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, there aren't any sharks in the Niagara river. As we drift swiftly along the Niagara river as we're diving, we just have to try not to bump into any trout or bass, etc., or big rocks. It's a wild, fun ride through a maze of weeds.

That sucks about the sharks in the market.

To me it depends quite a bit on what species of shark was involved. Not all are endangered and many are legally caught (the entire fish, not just for the fins). A three foot shark doesn't provide a heck of a lot of fin, so the fins may simply have been cut off for display purposes. If the shark was a threatened or endangered species, I'd really have concerns. If the shark had been caught, de-finned and the carcass thrown back into the water, I'd also have REALLY big concerns. Our local market used to sell shark steaks (mako mostly) and as far as I knew it was legal take.

Personally I wouldn't eat shark anyway. Bioaccumulation of nasty stuff in their tissues for the high order pelagic feeders and a concern for bottom feeders getting high levels of nasty stuff from the sediments and lower order species feeding there would stop me.

It could also be a case of removing the fins so that one could not be accused of selling shark fins in the first place. Someone could buy the whole shark just to cut off the fins at home and throw the rest away. Maybe there is a law on the books and the market had to sell the fish that way?

I've heard there are also laws that require sharks to be sold with their fins on to ensure they have not been finned. I have no idea whether any such law applies in this case though.

Some sections of Ontario have banned Fins only but not shark meet realy dumb. The Asians will try, try and try again to sail under the law, but if no one is there to police the markets on site you wil see no end to it. Customs/Oceans fisheries officers etc, can't ketch every ilegal batch flown in and sometimes the name and type of fish listed on the manifest have been changed to trick officers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom