Finning for Sidemount Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well looks like I'll be practicing my kicks prior to taking the actual class. My plan is to get set up and then practice, practice and practice until I'm proficient. Only then will I take the course. Thanks everyone for your valuable input.
My suggestion would be to skip the SDI course and take the TDI course from a decent instructor. There are some true garbage instructors teaching rec sidemount that IMO do their students more harm than good. Since most good tech instruction is paid for day by day, you could easily do a weekend with an instructor, and then go off to work on the kicks after some coaching. That will get you there faster than teaching yourself.

OTOH, there's a bunch of people out there that just want another c-card... Most balk when they see what I charge for SDI sidemount and go elsewhere. . .

Finning techniques could/should be part of every course. The sooner the better.

I cringe when I hear instructors explaining how to do a flutter kick from the hip, using the upper leg. That instruction has value in swimming or snorkeling lessons, not in scuba diving.

There are no sidemount-specific finning techniques. Any (proper) technique used in sidemount, is also used in backmount.
Basics: flutter kick & frog kick.
Expanded with helicopter turns and back kick. Ask your instructor to teach you these.

hi jim
i was an ssi instructor. we were not allowed to withhold a students cert if they met the minimum requirements set out by ssi for that course.
it is interesting that other agencies allow an instructor to determine for themselves whether the student passes or fails based on their own set of criteria rather than those set out by that agency.
The YMCA, NAUI, and SEI/PDIC all allowed this as well as SDI. They trust the instructor to look at local conditions, where the student is likely to dive, where they want to go in their career, and make the decision. I always assumed sidemount divers were headed for tech training. And so it became a step towards that.
Agency standards are minimums. Some of them not only encourage, but require the instructor to add to them. Others are counting on the minimums leading the student to realize they need more and have to come back and spend more money.
I could withhold a cert for a student displaying a poor attitude towards safety. Or because I felt their buddy skills needed improvement. The agency wasn't teaching the class. I was. My name was on their card. That meant they were a reflection of me.

My suggestion would be to skip the SDI course and take the TDI course from a decent instructor. There are some true garbage instructors teaching rec sidemount that IMO do their students more harm than good. Since most good tech instruction is paid for day by day, you could easily do a weekend with an instructor, and then go off to work on the kicks after some coaching. That will get you there faster than teaching yourself.

OTOH, there's a bunch of people out there that just want another c-card... Most balk when they see what I charge for SDI sidemount and go elsewhere. . .
The school I am taking sidemount from is a TDI/SDI school. I signed up for the TDI sidemount course and I've been told the instructor is phenomenal and that he just about dives sidemount exclusively, so I should be in for some good training. I have already booked time to train and work with him one on one during a weekend and then afterwards I plan to practice, practice, practice on my own time. Once I'm finally proficient, will I pick a date for class and OW portion.

The agency wasn't teaching the class. I was. My name was on their card. That meant they were a reflection of me.
I have taught a few of Jim's former students in more advanced technical courses. That is one of the names I like to see on their cert cards.
He isn't alone, there are several that I like coming after. They already did the hard work.
The sad part is there are many many more that bring up a feeling of dread.

With RAID the Frog/Modified Flutter/Back Fin/Helicopter turn are required parts of the sidemount course.

The instructor materials state the Frog kick should be mastered before hitting open water, Modified Flutter/Helicopter Turn/Backfin should be mastered before certification.

With RAID the Frog/Modified Flutter/Back Fin/Helicopter turn are required parts of the sidemount course.

The instructor materials state the Frog kick should be mastered before hitting open water, Modified Flutter/Helicopter Turn/Backfin should be mastered before certification.
This is the Way.

The school I am taking sidemount from is a TDI/SDI school. I signed up for the TDI sidemount course and I've been told the instructor is phenomenal and that he just about dives sidemount exclusively, so I should be in for some good training. I have already booked time to train and work with him one on one during a weekend and then afterwards I plan to practice, practice, practice on my own time. Once I'm finally proficient, will I pick a date for class and OW portion.

Green flag if the instructor primarily uses sidemount, especially if they dive the same harness and wing that you see yourself using although a good instructor should be able to get almost any decent system trimmed out.

This is the Way.
THE RAID WAY_3.1.2.jpg

hi jim
i was an ssi instructor. we were not allowed to withhold a students cert if they met the minimum requirements set out by ssi for that course.
it is interesting that other agencies allow an instructor to determine for themselves whether the student passes or fails based on their own set of criteria rather than those set out by that agency.
SSI standards are very low. Jim was talking about SDI not SSI.

Back
Top Bottom