Fins adapted for the frog quick

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been diving the same set of fins since I started 8 years ago, well pretty much. My first set after certification was a set of split fins which I found to be too floppy, so I promptly returned them and bought a pair of OMS Slipstreams. The OMS fins are basically like the Scubapro jetfins, but I found them to be much lighter. I absolutely love them and they work great for frog kicking, back kicks, helis, etc - which is about all I do since I'm diving lakes 95% of the time.

I agree with Jim Lapenta - practice your technique. I used Mares Avanti Quattros and can frog-kick, back-kick, helicopter turn, etc., just fine. I'm not saying that the Quattros are perfect, but they are the only fins that I own and they work fine from my point of view.

I see no reason why those fins would not be good for frog kicks and anything associated with them like back kicks...

I find that fins without much of a "sidewall" aren't as good for back kicking as something like Jets or similar, where the side of the fin does as much (or more) of the work than the paddle itself.

chuck_in_jet3.jpg

I find that fins without much of a "sidewall" aren't as good for back kicking as something like Jets or similar, where the side of the fin does as much (or more) of the work than the paddle itself.

chuck_in_jet3.jpg

I use the Hollis F1s when I want a heavy fin and the Mares Quattro + when I want a light fin. The Hollis F1 is excellent for all kicks, including the back kick. I used to use Jets, but I sold them and cannot use them in the following comparison.

Hollis F1 Sidewall width.
At end of foot pocket: 4.5 cm
15 cm from end of foot pocket: 2.0 cm
Total length of sidewall: 28 cm

Mares Quattro + Sidewall width
At end of foot pocket: 5.0 cm
15 cm from end of foot pocket: 3.3 cm
Total length of sidewall: 32 cm

I have no trouble back kicking or helicopter turning with the Mares fins. I use the sidewalls as the primary propulsion surfaces for those kicks, keeping the blades almost horizontal as I do the kicks. the width of the sidewalls was an important reason for my decision to purchase the quattros for my light weight travel fins.

Reactions: RJP
[video=youtube;8ahQYqho7w4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ahQYqho7w4[/video]

They seem to work pretty well for this guy :D

the avanti quartos certainly can be used to frog kick:
[video=vimeo;102923923]http://vimeo.com/102923923[/video]

If you're looking for a change, I might be convinced to trade you my Hollis F1s for them if the size is right. I use my diverites, but have been curious about the quatros.

---------- Post added November 14th, 2014 at 04:43 PM ----------

It's only a problem if you use the side of the fin to sort of scoot back...I prefer using the whole fin and retract my whole legs like a backwards frog kick.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom