fins, fins so many fins.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use Aeris Velocity X3 Spring Strap fins and personally I'm not to fond of them. They don't have much thrust or anything. and because they are so long they have little to no stiffness, so very little feeling of propulsion(or any propulsion for that matter).

They probably make them so flexible to reduce leg strain, but because of this they actually hurt more because you have to do VERY quick, long strokes to get propulsion, and it hurts like a mother!

Ahhhh... the eternal fin debate! Well, as far as my $.02 I can only speak from experience. I'm a fairly new diver, but after diving some split fins, I just didn't feel that they delivered the kind of "feedback" I desired. I recently purchased a pair of Hollis F-1's and, while I am NOT a tech diver with double tanks and a dry-suit, I LOVE these fins! They deliver instant horsepower, immediate feedback, and while I prefer to lazily drift along on most dives, when I need to cover some ground, these fins truly delivered. One note of caution, however, they require at least a neoprene bootie, and will NOT fit with bare feet. Anyway... just my two cents!

Cheers! :D

I am usually the one shooting the video.... I'll have to see about getting Sandra or Bill to video me on one of our dives soon. :)

Hi Dan,

I have some footage of me trying to keep up with you and your DiveR fins. Shall I post on Youtube?

Hope to see a post with some video and your fins in action. Watching your kick style and the DiveR fins at work should be instructive for us all.
wholeheartedly agreed!

While I can, and occasionally do, move pretty quickly through the water, I think video of just how little free dive fin blade movement is required to "guide" the vast majority of top of the line scuba fin divers would be more relevant "instruction." My guiding SAC dropped significantly when I quit guiding in top of the line scuba fins.

And then there is rescue. If someone at the back of the pack starts to cork, wouldn't you highly valve a fin that gets you there soon enough to make a difference? I have a pretty quick 180, but the 1 foot wide "ankle" frog morphing into 1 foot tall dolphin is what really shrinks the serious separations.

Not everyone can, and of the ones that can, not all need or want to, enjoy the benefits of long blades. I am surrounded by OW students and typical tourist divers a lot, and not making inappropriate fin contact with coral &/or divers is not something that happens without significant thought and effort. :idk:

subscribing. :D

(although I'm considering the "soft" blades.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom