Question Fins for weak ankles (ankle joints replaced)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
M

Merlous

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm based in the UK (North West/Midlands) and just getting back into diving after having a 10 year break due to operations.
The main operations have been around my feet and I have had both my ankle joints replaced. This was due to athritis which I have had since I was 6, I'm now 45.

My consultant has given me the all clear as I have done a pool dive with a few different fins and discovered I was okay but my old Tusa Imprex were not as comfy on my ankles.

I found the original Oceanic Vipers to be very comfortable but I'm wondering if anyone else can recommend any others that are easy going on the ankle joints. Or if anyone know how the Viper 2 compare to the original?

I'm looking at open heel fins as I wear boots to help protect my feet and to help give support to my ankles.

Any advice, thoughts and impressions would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

I don't have any ankle problems (thankfully) so the extra time wrapping each dive would be a bit much. I wouldn't mind some that were more stiff or supportive by default.

I suppose I could always DIY something. Though, that gives me an idea. Thicker dive boots, such as 7mm dive boots should theoretically be more supportive than 2mm dive boots. I don't know why I didn't think of that before.

Apparently, thicker dive boots also sometimes require a larger size on the fin (fin foot pocket) as well.
I know in the gym the 7mm neoprene dead lift sleeves offer more support but less flexibility... Its getting the right combination of thickness and tightness. Doesn't matter how thick they are if they're flopping around. Might be worth just trying a pull on neoprene ankle support if you have room in your boots

From the divers I have spoken to it seems with dive boots if you want more support then it's wrapping your ankle or a pull on support. But you never know...

A thought came to mind. I use Altama Maritime Assault Mid boots for both (socked) drysuit and warm travel. They are suitable for street and diving when packing light. These are the version I have for warm. (Drysuit boots just a size up and different color - black camo)
OTB_mid_coyote_0cd0f0e7-0f79-4cc6-bbd3-3b01a0a0ea10_1800x1800.jpg

They recently released a high, 8" version. When I start doing local cold water again, I'll pick them up because the Mids allowed the DS sock to billow out a bit over the top, pushing me into my "jungle-boots" which I'm not crazy about.
altama-coyote-maritime-assault-8-boot-336003__25279.1666623406.jpg

I was wondering if something like that might be helpful to you for ankle support, and since it has laces you should be able to get a degree of control on where and how much. Best part is that they are offered in wide versions EEE. Unfortunately, I'm not sure about UK/EU vendors for you.

ETA: I frequently use 3mm neoprene socks for thermal and padding reasons under them

Sounds like you're getting good feedback, but to reiterate (and in some cases contradict) others, I don't think you want a really stiff fin.

All the cool kids love to use the really stiff fins and snap them back and forth. But from what you're describing, I think that'd put too much stress on the joint. (Keeping in mind I'm a seaweed doc, not a human doc.) I personally use SeaWing Novas, but prefer the "normal" version to the stiffer "gorilla" version. (Seriously, that's what they call them.)

I know in the gym the 7mm neoprene dead lift sleeves offer more support but less flexibility... Its getting the right combination of thickness and tightness. Doesn't matter how thick they are if they're flopping around. Might be worth just trying a pull on neoprene ankle support if you have room in your boots
That's a good idea. Briefly browsing amazon, it looks like there are numerous options for neoprene ankle supports around $10 which would only take a moment to put on. I might even get some to use with a for a closed-heel fin I sometimes use (sshhh, haters, I got those fins cheap).

I use Altama Maritime Assault Mid boots
Those look nice. $140 is beyond what I'm looking to spend at the moment, but I add them to a sort of wish-list.

Those look nice. $140 is beyond what I'm looking to spend at the moment, but I add them to a sort of wish-list.
LA Police Gear has the Coyote tan mid version for $63 (at least some) currently.

LAPG can be a pain as if it is not immediately in stock at the warehous but is in their order system they will accept and then cancel the order. Just call them and explain that you want it and can wait - IME they then ship in a couple days.

A thought came to mind. I use Altama Maritime Assault Mid boots for both (socked) drysuit and warm travel. They are suitable for street and diving when packing light. These are the version I have for warm. (Drysuit boots just a size up and different color - black camo)
Something like that might be a good idea, when I clicked the link it even took me to their UK store, think they still ship from the States though... So expensive especially if I don't get the right size the first time. I have seen a couple of sites in the UK that might do them and a store but typically that's down south and awkward to get too.

I did read somewhere on here that someone dives in their Converse, so in theory that opens up other ideas. 👍

That's a good idea. Briefly browsing amazon, it looks like there are numerous options for neoprene ankle supports around $10 which would only take a moment to put on. I might even get some to use with a for a closed-heel fin I sometimes use (sshhh, haters, I got those fins cheap).

Haters annoy me, if something works for someone respect their choice even if it's not for you.

Used to see it a lot when I used to do a lot of car events. Used to see some awful things but to the owner it was their pride and joy and I can respect that, might even give me an idea for mine in some way. Thinking about it I'm on the dark side now as my current car is one that the traditionalists tend to hate but the public love it 🤣

Haters annoy me, if something works for someone respect their choice even if it's not for you.

Used to see it a lot when I used to do a lot of car events. Used to see some awful things but to the owner it was their pride and joy and I can respect that, might even give me an idea for mine in some way. Thinking about it I'm on the dark side now as my current car is one that the traditionalists tend to hate but the public love it 🤣
On the car-thing, I absolutely agree. The exception is "fake performance mods." Otherwise, it's just a subjective taste. Even body-kits on a stock car are fine.

my current car is one that the traditionalists tend to hate but the public love it
Did you buy a BMW Supra?

I currently have a C7 Corvette, and use it for scuba-diving. You'd be surprised how many scuba-tanks fit in the trunk.

On the car-thing, I absolutely agree. The exception is "fake performance mods." Otherwise, it's just a subjective taste. Even body-kits on a stock car are fine.

Did you buy a BMW Supra?

I currently have a C7 Corvette, and use it for scuba-diving. You'd be surprised how many scuba-tanks fit in the trunk.

Don't get me started on those 🤣

Haha no but in some ways you're close... Morgan Aero 8 which is powered by a BMW V8 (shame it wasn't an LS motor), surprisingly it also has a big boot aka trunk. It's factory spec painted Matte Black with a Yellow interior, not what the traditionalist Morgan driver would pick...

Oh nice, I have a soft spot for the corvette! shame they're not made in right hand drive otherwise I probably would have had one. Though I did almost buy a C1 Covertte but ended up buying the Morgan.

What style of kicking do you use?

If it is a flutter type, I have 2 suggestions that you might see if you can give a pool try:
  • Force Fins or Force Fin Pros (slightly stiffer/snappier) They are optimized for a faster, lower amplitude flutter kick and are quite efficient. Power is from the downstroke with a softer up/recovery stroke. The foot pocket geometry favors rounded boot soles you might need to upsize if uo have square edged soles.
  • This is ScubaBoard heresy, but Atomic Split-fins. These favor a longer kick stroke, but with less ankle strength needed than a stiff paddle type fin. They come in 2 stiffness compounds depending on the color. The "Smoke on the Water version has the stiffer "high-energy" compound and spring-straps. They also are quite good for snorkeling.
Neither would be the right choice if you frog-kick predominantly.
Disregard the Split-fin haters here! I have the Atomic Smoke on the Water splits and the Mares Avanti Quattro +. I switch off between them pretty regularly and they are both awesome fins.

These particular splits are on the long side, so not great for tight spaces but super comfortable and quite powerful in OW - I used them in strong currents in Tiputa Pass in Rangiroa and had no issues keeping up with anybody swimming into and cross currents.

You can also frog kick pretty well with them (contrary to crap I’ve see posted here) - though the Mares are better for fine control/finesse when needed and will have a bit more thrust per frog kick.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom