Fins that don't strain the ankles sideways

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So my girlfriend wants to buy fins, but her ankles are no good (constantly sprained/recovering). To help her decide, I borrowed a bunch of fins for her to test out in a pool: Aeris Accel, Avanti Quattro, Warp1, fake Jet Fins and Atomic Splits, all in small sizes.

I expected her to prefer the Atomic Splits because they feel lighter in the water, but she says that the split results in the fin feeling more unstable in a sideways motion. Her top preference is the Avanti Quattro (mine, actually). She somehow sprained her ankle finning with the Warp1 when a wave came and twisted her ankle sideways because the footpocket of the Small size is too large.

Apart from the Avanti Quattro's, would you have any suggestions on which fins are easy on the ankles (sideways)? E.g. should she stick with Mares models likes SuperChannel? How do the Gull's feel? I couldn't borrow a pair, unfortunately. Mares Wave, Xtream, etc?

If her ankles are that unstable, you may consider taping her ankles for support like they do for sports medicine. As far as fins go, the Original Force Fins will probably be the least stressful.

she could wear ankle support thats is made of neoprene. I am using them with my full foot fins during underwater hockey games.

I have torn just about every ligament there is to tear in my ankle and I will never use any other than my Jets. I even managed to sprain my right ankle by falling down a flight of stairs in the middle of my GUE T1. (Lesson: don't read texts while walking down stairs) Did a wreckdive with current and completed, even with a sprained ankle.

Imla-

I broke my ankle BADLY..years ago. Between that and years of TKWD...it definitely makes it'sd presence known. I have SP Twin Jets..VERY easy on the ankles and knees...Tusa SF-15 Z3 Zooms...another split..that doesn't stress the joints and is actually VERY powerful and comfortable. I also have a set of Original Force fins. But ..when I have to have control..and the ability to jump if with a student..I ALWAYS hit the water in Mares Superchannels.... GREAT power...responsive..comfortable..and easy on the joints. They'll give you back exactly what you put into them. And do all kicks as well...may wanna have her give them a try. I think its a GREAT all around fin. Think a softer Quattro...

Bubs

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom