X1 Blade fins...Is it good that they're this stiff?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

feldomatic

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
While I wait for the Sun, Moon, planets, stars, dive shop training schedule and my Navy Reserve drill schedule to align (read: doing my open water in March)
I got my snorkel set, switched from CrossFit to a Y membership (closest pool to me) and decided to get some time in my new gear.

I went a little overboard with color matching and have a Subframe mask, SV-2 snorkel and X1 Blade fins, all in red and black. Paired with my swimwear I look like the dork / subnautica character that I am. I figure it's the one time I get to have fun with color before the gear I need is available in any color as long as it's black.

I was kinda limited on my fin choices at the store:
  • They really like the Atomic split fins, but I didn't want to drop $250 just to find out which side of that aisle I'm on.
  • They had Rocket 2's, but the guy at the shop (former Navy diver with plenty of time in them) was adamant about them being less than ideal for a beginner.
  • I decided I didn't know what buoyancy characteristics they have, or what I will need once I fully kit up and figure out my personal trim profile. I don't mind having a set of ported tech fins AND a set of paddle fins, so I let him win this one.
  • It might have been a stupid reason, but the X1's were the only other fins that met my color preferences.

I don't have much basis for comparison, but Holy Materials Science Batman, these things are stiff!

I've noticed in most videos, most fins seem to oscillate a little when they flex, enough to almost take an S shape while returning to straight during a glide. Freediving fins being the most exaggerated form of this. Looking at these things in the pool, they bend to a little bit of a C and snap right back to straight. No rubbery "wiggle" that I can see whatsoever.

• Big flutter kicks are met with a LOT of resistance. Like "my legs need a break after 50m" resistance.
  • Small flutter kicks seem fine, and these fins do seem to give a lot of speed for small fast movements.
  • Big or small frog kicks on these feel like they're doing well. Without fins, I prefer breast stroke / frog kicks, so maybe I'm just more adapted to this to begin with.
  • It's pretty easy to back kick / brake (like, any bad form doing a frog kick can cause this)
  • The lap lane I'm in is a bit small to try helicopters without concern that I'll catch a lane line or bother another swimmer, so I'm holding off on trying these.

How much of this is being new to full size fins, and how much is it these fins? If it is the fins, is this a good or bad thing that they're this stiff?

There are no “perfect” fins, you’ll learn to kick these the way that works best for you, if these work well for frog kicks this is how you’ll use them and if the still allow some time flutter kicking without hurting to much to get through those spots where you may need that kick, cool. There are good all around fins, good frog kick fins and good flutter kick fins, I go for all around that have a bias toward frog kick.

I have the X1 fins, in RED, and I like them. It took a lot of time to get used to them. They are STIFF indeed. I had to adjust my flutter kick to be "shallow" and all is OK. Lots of power for "shallow" kick. great for all types of kicks. These fins will handle any type of kicks and water conditions.

Note: I dive from shore and usually have to swim 400 - 500 meters on surface before I get to the drop down point and I have used these fins in this type of diving. I got the Atomic spring strap with it and it worked great.

You are doing the right thing to practice and get used to them in the pool before starting your course.

You shouldn't have any regrets or second thoughts about owning these fins.

Back
Top Bottom