Fins, what I wish I had known

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not to belabor the "Splits vs Anything Else" argument but, physically, none of the mechanics described in this article holds up. There are certainly vortexes created with solid fins and, in fact, they may extend downward to a greater degree than split fins. Stirring up silt is a matter of care not fins.
I have had both types and settled on splits because of a (perhaps perceived) ease of flutter kicking. I can do a frog kick, helicopter and backup using splits. You also can use the split design to flutter slowly at a relaxed speed. The bottom line is that the only thing that matters is your own opinion of the value of the type of fins. Your buddy's opinion only matters to help correct your technique. No style of fin is going to help that.

And here in lies the problem. Just because the average recreational diver buys DIR compliant gear doesn't make them a DIR diver. And it definitely doesn't mean that they are going to realize any benefit from using DIR compliant equipment. DIR is a lot more than gear and is directed toward challenging technical diving. Without the training and understanding of DIR, the gear is just gear. No better and no worse that a lot of other gear. I doubt that the average recreational or new diver, to whom this forum, and that blog post was directed toward, would see much of any benefit to buying gear simply because it's used by DIR divers. .

I never said if they got DIR style gear they are now a DIR diver. Just wanted them to explore the concept as they review the gear choices. Why is this better then what I use now? What can I take from that concept and add to my diving to make me a better dive. That is the question most of us asked at one time or another.

As for the equipment helping. The wing is much easer to trim out the the jacket style. Yes the stiffer fins have a learning curve but in the long run will require less work. The long hose makes you a better buddy. Sorry for the somewhat off topic post. :D

Back
Top Bottom