Fireboat - Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrSmitty13

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
This past sunday as part of my wreck diving specialty course I dove the fireboat which is just located off of the shores of saugatuck in lake michigan. I have seen a couple other wrecks before but most of it was rubble that looked like a bunch of scrap metal on the ground. This wreck was cool because it was the first one I have seen that was standing upright and still had its full shape. Also it was exciting for me because it was my new deepest depth 69ft (keep in mind i'm still new). We had recorded 52 degrees at the bottom with vis being about 30 ft. Unfortunately I didnt get to explore much on my own since I was down there as part of the wreck diving course so the instructor had me using the reels and lift bags. I definately want to go back and would recommend this wreck as an easy fun intact wreck to explore.

If memory serves, I believe there is indeed a bouy to tie off to on this one.
My favorite in this area is the Prins Willem though. I think that is a better dive, and they are close together.

It would cost about $100 in fuel to run my boat down there. What charter boat did you go out on and where did it leave from?

apologies - i was thinking of fireboat 23 -
The Milwaukee Fireboat #23 was located in 50 ft of water off Milwaukee in 2005 by local charter captain Jerry Guyer. She lies very near the present day site of the wreck of the Prinz Willem

apologies - i was thinking of fireboat 23 -
The Milwaukee Fireboat #23 was located in 50 ft of water off Milwaukee in 2005 by local charter captain Jerry Guyer. She lies very near the present day site of the wreck of the Prinz Willem

I know the boat you are talking about. I dove it a couple of years ago after Jerry found it. It was a nice dive

It would cost about $100 in fuel to run my boat down there. What charter boat did you go out on and where did it leave from?

Well I went with my LDS Ocean Sands Scuba out of Holland, MI. His boat is actually parked in Saugutuck. He takes his boat out every Sunday for dives.

Nothing like reviving an old thread right? So I'm dreaming about diving the Fireboat in early May. Is it still bouyed? How accurate are the coordinates on the msra website? I cant wait for another season of diving west michigan!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom