First BC questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would lean towards a back inflate system. They tend to be more comfortable, less bulk around the ribs/waist and front. If you go the BP&W route then you can really customize it the to fit your needs.
I've never tried the Mares Syncro Tech but from the review posted earlier it looks to be a decent BC.
Lots of D rings and pockets. I'm not a fan of lots of big pockets.
Depending on the number of dives on the BC, I would check the condition of the velcro on the integrated weights.

Downside which some people don't like is they tend to tilt you forward.
I only see that problem when divers over inflate on the surface.

I'm a rec diver and I prefer a BPW. Why do I like a BPW? Not only it's fully adaptable and adjustable for any sort of diving, but it looks all techy and cool. Chicks think that I'm a hard core diver when I use my BPW.

I actually really like the simple and cheap BC's that you'll usually rent. Bottom of the range, and do the job perfectly. Keep it simple theory. If that's what you've learned with then using one that looks like it belongs on an astronaut may be slightly better but not worth the cost imo. Though with a jacket, integrated weight system is something I would always go for at a minimum.

Back Plate/Wing is great as it's adaptable for any type of diving, you won't have to replace all your gear if in the future you decide to go further with your diving, it promotes good trim in the water and when broken down takes up very little space in luggage so you can travel with your own gear. If you like to be vertical in the water and spin around looking at stuff like a puppy it would be more awkward than a jacket though.

I am a big fan of back inflate BC...I dive an Aeris Atmos XT-Its not 100% back inflate but I rarely fill it to the point that I feel the wrap around squeeze effect. Its comfortable and packs up pretty well.

Aeris Atmos LX BCD reviews and discounts, Aeris

Its even on sale! Best advice I got when shopping is to pick one that fit your needs and was comfortable out of as well as in the water.

I've been diving this BC as well for about 10 years and really like two things about it:

- Lots of lift
- Hybrid: it's mostly back inflate, but with some side as well. So while it may push you forward a bit when fully inflated, it doesn't do it so much as to seem uncontrollable. Furthermore, when fully inflated it doesn't do the "bear hug squeeze" like a jacket-style BC can do.

That being said, don't get talked into a tech BC when you really don't need one. Do your homework and test drive some BCs to decide which one is right for YOU.

There are lots of threads like this with lots of info so I will just add this. Spend some time talking with the people you will be diving with. What do they use and why? What did they try out and regret, again why? They can give insight on what works in you local conditions.

Steel backplates and wings are great for distributing the weight and helping a diver trim out. You can't travel with them as easy, but they really do make a significant difference in the water at least to me.

BCs basically come in three types. There is the "jacket" type. In this design, the air bladder wraps around the front of the diver. When it is inflated, there is more or less a "ring" of flotation, so the diver tends to float as though in a pool doughnut. These BCs frequently have large pockets. The downsides of them are that they tend to be heavy (simply because there is a lot of BC), there is a lot of BC on the front of the body, and many people don't like the "squeeze" feeling you get when you inflate them fully on the surface. In addition, although they have pockets, they are often not very manageable or useful when you are actually in the water.

Back inflate BCs have the flotation bladder entirely behind the diver. This leaves the front of the body much less cluttered. There is no squeeze of the diver when the bladder is full, and the whole BC is lighter (good for travel). It is POSSIBLE, if the BC is not adjusted well AND you overinflate the bladder, to have a tendency to be pushed forward at the surface. You will hear people bring this up constantly as an objection to back-inflate BCs, but it requires several things to be wrong for it to be a real issue.

Backplate systems are back-inflate BCs that are modular. They consist of a rigid plate, which can be plastic, aluminum, or steel. Woven through slots in the plate is a harness, which can include releases and multiple D-rings, or be as simple as a single piece of 2" webbing. Behind the plate is a flotation bladder, which can be attached to the plate in a variety of ways. The advantages of this type of system is the ability to customize -- customize sizing in how the harness is adjusted, and customize lift by selecting the appropriate bladder.

Jacket and back-inflate BCs can come with integrated weights. This means that pouches are integrated into the design, which can hold a certain amount of the diver's weight. Some people really like this feature, but to me, it has two drawbacks. One is that it makes the rig difficult to move around on land, once the pouches are installed. Another is that the pouches are often difficult to get into the BC once it is placed onto a tank -- so you don't really have the option of moving the rig around before putting the pouches in, especially on a boat. Integrated weight systems have to be evaluated carefully, because they are trying to fill two absolutely contradictory functions -- hold the weights securely (because losing a large amount of weight at depth can be REALLY dangerous) and make them very easy to release (because when you need to drop weight, you need to do it fast). Few designs perform both functions well, a conclusion I have reached after salvaging quite a number of weight pouches from the bottom of local dives sites :)

It is always best to dive gear you are contemplating purchasing, if that is possible, because what seems to work well on land sometimes isn't quite as nice to dive as you might think. But if you can't dive the BC, at least try it on WITH a tank in place. Make sure it holds the tank quiet and stable on your back, and that you can adjust the straps until it fits fairly tightly around you.

I started off with a back inflate BC and switched to a BP/W. The BP/W is much more versatile like someone already said and to me is more comfortable. It's much less bulky.

I am looking to purchase my first bcd and need info. I plan on only open water, mostly freshwater, purely recreational diving. What is better? back only inflating, full vest inflating, or ??? I have a friend who has a Mares Syncro tech back inflating bc, said he'd sell it to me. Any suggestions, info, or what to stay away from would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Tyson

For the diving you describe any style will work and can work well. What is critical is that it fit you both is size and design.

A jacket DC will will hold you higher in the water while on the surface and that is important to some divers. This is because the air cell largely encircles you. Depending on the model full inflation may be comfortingly snug or bone crunching tight. You really want to get a candidate in the water to experience how this feels.

A Back inflate BC has all of the air cell behind you and as such there is very little effect on the fit when inflated. Being back inflate you cannot hike yourself up out of the water like a jacket. You can lay back on the raft though so you have plenty of security. If you dive an aluminum cylinder in particular there can be some tendency to tip you forward on the surface if you go for maximum lift. A lot of this is counteracted with weight placement and limiting the rise. A steel cylinder that remains negatively buoyant will also reduce this. If you like to make face down surface swims you will be lower in the water and my prefer using a regulator over a snorkel if there's much wave action.

Either of these can be richly featured as sold with pockets, integrated wight systems, D-rings and fuzzy dice.

A third option is a Back Plate and Wing (BP&W) system. This is essentially a back inflate BC in modular form. often the components are bought alcarte to the divers preference. They can range from spartan to being festooned with pockets, padding, weight systems and so forth. The cost can range from that of a modest jacket to the moon. If you advance to a drysuit which may be bulkier with cold water garments a modular harness system is very easy to make roomier.

In the end be sure to test ANY BC you plan to buy, even if only in a dive shop pool. Make note of how well you can reach the features. Do this in your full wetsuit. The BC will not make the diver but a bad fit can break him. Resist the temptation to take the BC off your friends hands unless you're really certain this thing works for you. Why is he selling it?

Pete

I am looking to purchase my first bcd and need info. I plan on only open water, mostly freshwater, purely recreational diving. What is better? back only inflating, full vest inflating, or ??? I have a friend who has a Mares Syncro tech back inflating bc, said he'd sell it to me. Any suggestions, info, or what to stay away from would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Tyson

Find out why your friend is getting rid of it.

Try it on a couple of dives and see if you like it.

Is it going for a reasonable price?

After years of diving and using some real junk, I'm happy when I can dive and I upgrade when I can afford the "new better stuff".

It's more about how comfortable and effective you are in the water rather than what you are wearing. Although, as fnfalman points out, you might want to pick something out to impress the chicks.

Bob
-----------------------------------------
I may be old but I’m not dead yet.

Back
Top Bottom