First BCD purchase help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Domsz06

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I have been doing some lookingnand searching and it kinda seems up in tha air on what is good brands, styles, etc....

I'm an amputee and have zero hips so integrated weight system is a must as weight belts are not preferred. I can use them but after diving some this week without a belt its preferred.

Second, my brother just picked up the aqua lung zuma and he loves it. Saw some interesting reviews on the site, but the lightness seems nice as most dives I will do involve air travel.

I see rear inflates can't handle two tanks, while i have never done one it is a possibility I suppose.

I'm a slender guy and having stuff out of the front appeals to me.

Looking for any and all help. Also I'm not name loyal and don't mind buying good used equipment. Just want durability and something that will last.

Thanks everyone!!!!

The Zeagle Ranger is a back-inflate wing (44# lift) on a weight integrated harness type of BC which can easily handle doubles. However, it is a heavier rig and not one that most recommend specifically for air travel. On the other hand, we travel to dive and my husband has a Ranger Ltd that he's never had any difficulty packing for flying. You could also contact ScubaToys and consider a Zeagle Brigade, which is a Ranger harness with a smaller wing specifically for tropical diving (or lighter people).

One unique thing about Zeagle BCs is that they are modular, which means you can mix and match the shoulder, vest, cumberbun, and wing sections to create a custom fit BC. You can also order custom color combinations from Zeagle to further personalize.

You could also look at the Transpac harnesses that have weight integration as an option, and if you're interested in a BP/W, I believe you can get weight integrated pockets to add on (though I may be way off base with that one).

That said the bottom line as far as I'm concerned is to TRY as many different types and brands before you buy. The BC that fits you is the BEST BC in the market, regardless of what anyone else wears or recommends.

Welcome to our underwater world! First let me say thanks to your brother for purchasing our Zuma BC; we're quite proud of it. One feature that came to mind for you was our Dimension i3 BC. It incorporates a simplified inflation system that is placed just above the hip area, and over the integrated weights on the left side. It's absolutely brilliant. Being an amputee, I can only imagine that this will also help you better than any other design because your buoyancy is much easier to control. In fact, when you go to vent air in your BC you won't have to kick yourself into the optimum position for air to escape because when you drop the lever of the i3 to vent, you're activating two separate exhaust valves simultaneously! What a relief for novices, as well as experienced divers; the deflation process is near instantaneous. For more information folow this link to the Aqua Lung page for more information on the Dimension i3. Good luck in your search.

Dan Rodarte
Aqua Lung Regional Manager

A bunch of options for you. I'm not sure what you mean by "I'm a slender guy and having stuff out of the front appeals to me. " but the Zeagle Express Tech is similar to the Zuma but I happen to like it better. (It's also cheaper than the Zuma, double bonus.) You can get it with or without weight pockets, padded straps etc etc. It will supposedly work with doubles, though everyone who actually dives doubles says they see that as unlikely.

If you're considering doubles as a realistic option for you in the future, getting a BP/W now will save you some hassle down the road. If you're not considering doubles, I'd recommend the Express Tech for simplicity and portability for travel.

thanks to everyone! I will start looking at the options out there.

I did see the i3 and it is a cool option, but I have zero issue venting as it is, and I have heard that since it's a new set up a lot of dive shops don't know how to service it if they do not sell it... just bothers me a bit...

as far as my "slender commment" I just meant that the less I have in front of me the better I like it. I hate having stuff in front of me both above water and underwater, but when I have it on my back I don't mind it... make anymore sense lol?

off to dive shops..... :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom