First boat night dive...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I was in Cozumel we went to a shallow reef that many of the operators use often as 1) it is shallow and it is usually your 4th or 5th dive of the day, and 2) its close in to the island (don't have my log book on hand so I don't remember which, sorry).

We arrived before sunset. My practice was to set up my gear the moment I hit the boat, so it was set up well before sunset. The boat did have lights that they turned on once we hit the water. You could easily hear them above us and look up to see the lights of the boat or the moon (we timed our night dive for a full moon night).

BTW: This was part of my AOW class. My hubby and I and the Instructor. No day time boat group.

We did a thorough brief before we dove, including what to do if someone's lights quit. We were also doing night navigation which added to the challenge of the dive (not sure if that is require during a PADI night dive, but it certainly confirmed the skills).

The night reef life was great. I always thought squid were ugly until I saw one in all its color at night. Saw a large octupus too. Bioluminencense (sp?) was great too. Night sounds on the reef were amazing.

When we began a safety stop, the boat was right there, having followed our bubbles and lights.

Great experience.

All - this has been very good information... just to clarify I am AOW and I was not required to take night diving to get it...

I have a primary UK Sunlight C8 with dual bulbs as my primary, an Ikelite as my secondary, and I plan on using a Blue Glow Stick as my tank marker (I figured blues/violets get filtered last).

My buddy has been diving for two years and is an active diver; in addition to this I am very familiar with the water we will be diving in... it's close to my house and only goes to the sand at 65' - with most of the wall laying between 35' to 50'. It will be a 90% moon at 18 degrees latitude...

zboss once bubbled...
All - this has been very good information... just to clarify I am AOW and I was not required to take night diving to get it...

I have a primary UK Sunlight C8 with dual bulbs as my primary, an Ikelite as my secondary, and I plan on using a Blue Glow Stick as my tank marker (I figured blues/violets get filtered last).

My buddy has been diving for two years and is an active diver; in addition to this I am very familiar with the water we will be diving in... it's close to my house and only goes to the sand at 65' - with most of the wall laying between 35' to 50'. It will be a 90% moon at 18 degrees latitude...

Then I'd say it's time to quick yacking and start diving! Let us know how much fun you had.

Steven

reefraff once bubbled...

Then I'd say it's time to quick yacking and start diving! Let us know how much fun you had.

Steven

I know... I am so pumped for this!

Diving is addictive. Night diving is VERY addictive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom