Question First BPW set up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BodhiBear

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone new here and im sure this has been asked many many times but just trying to get some advice on my first BPW. I've tried one in a pool session and loved it so i know its the route i want to go down. I tried a finsub but ive been looking at all sorts of other options. i just dont know whats considered a good long lasting high quality place to start.
Ive been diving for over 15 years now and still using my very first jaket style BC but the tme to change is here.
I currently dive single 15ltr, uk mostly, wetsuit/semidry, saltwater 13kg lead, option to change wing to use twins woulld be nice for future options, maybe even consider going tec one day.
any help or advice would be great thank you

Looks like you live in the UK, not to familiar with what brands are sold over there. I assume you dive dry? You’ll probably want a stainless steel backplate. I assume you dive single tank and not doubles?

Most wings are Cordura these days, all quite durable. There are many brands to choose from, but they are quite similar in terms of basic features. Some may have weight and/or trim pockets or maybe some sort of backplate padding. I think most EU-based brands ship to the UK too, without much problem or added cost.
Finnsub, Xdeep, Tecline, Apeks, Scubapro, OMS, DiveSystem, and many others. What added features would you want/need? I think that would determine your choice.

Looks like you live in the UK, not to familiar with what brands are sold over there. I assume you dive dry? You’ll probably want a stainless steel backplate. I assume you dive single tank and not doubles?
yeah uk based but im wetsuit 7mm semi dry single at the moment but maybe one day like to change to doubles so be nice to have a wing i can change

In the US, I think the DGX Gears backplate is a no-brainer starting place:. $462 gets you a stainless backplate, wing, harness, crotch strap, and a pair of 4lb/2kg trim weight pockets. Since you are in the UK, the shipping could be high, I'm not sure. You can punch in your address and see: DGX Custom - DGX Gears Singles Harness / Backplate / Wing Package

Other reputable brands I'm aware of: Halcyon, Apeks, OMS, DiveRite, Mares/XR,

What water temps do you dive in?

Things to look for, IMHO:
- Stainless plate if you ever dive in cold water, aluminum if you only ever dive warm water. Avoid plastic plates
- Single-piece harnesses are a good starting place, and many divers prefer them, I certainly do. I would not recommend starting with a harness with quick-disconnects or moveable parts. If you have issues with joint mobility, those quick-disconnects can be actually helpful, but for many divers they tend to add cost without adding much value
- Need a crotch strap. If your harness doesn't come with one, then they can be easily added onto the horizontal slot on the bottom of the plate. Wider crotch straps like 2" tend to be more comfortable than narrow ones, like 1"
- A pair of trim pockets are often helpful, even if you dive with a weight belt. They run $30 per pair or so.
- A single-tank adapter can make it easier to line your tank up correctly, and adds ballast. They run around $50 for a stainless steel one -- I've tried the soft ones, and do not recommend them
- Avoid any kind of padding or sleeves. These are upsells that try to solve a problem that does not really exist
- A wing with around 30 lbs / 15 kgs of lift is a good for warm or cold water. for example, my OMS 32lb wing works great in a T-shirt, 3mm wetsuit, 8mm wetsuit, or drysuit (all single-tank)
- Avoid wings that claim to be able to dive either single-tank or double-tank. It would be nice if a product like this actually exists, but it's a fantasy -- anyone who claims this is a liar, it will have big drawbacks
- Avoid plates that only take one size of wing, or only one brand of wing. A good plate should be able to take pretty much any wing, single-tank or double-tank, warm water or cold water. This lets you re-use the plate and harness for any kind of diving

I highly recommend the Sub Gravity BP/W system, they make high quality gear and have great customer service and communication.
You get a choice of 3 stainless steel or 2 aluminum backplates, 4 wing lift choices, 2 harness styles and 3 weight pocket sizes and their wings don't require a single tank adapter. I have their 3mm aluminum backplate, 26 lb wing and adjustable harness. I love their adjustable harness, it's clean, simple and no plastic parts. Paragon Single Tank Package - SubGravity

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom