first compact camera after using the gopro: what to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have not timed the transition from video to pic then back to video, but it is pretty fast. I did not notice any significant lag in the shutter speed for the pic, and it seemed to start the video expeditiously once I moved my finger from the top button to the back button. Recommend you go to a store that has the camera, set it up for 1080/60p video and RAW pics, and see if timing is good enough for your needs.

thanks! I have been to a few stores but I am in Hawaii right now and things are not so well stocked unfortunately.... you won't believe it...

I'm not exactly sure what you're after. I haven't yet seen a camera that could record video and simultaneously take aperture, shutter speed and ISO-level controlled, full resolution pictures. With my understanding of camera anatomy, I don't think it's even possible or at least not feasible.

Rx100 allows both video and pictures at the same time... i am trying to understand the quality however, stores here where I am atm are not very well stocked...

Rx100 allows both video and pictures at the same time... i am trying to understand the quality however, stores here where I am atm are not very well stocked...

You might want to get on the SB Sony forum to see what current users have to say about your understanding about how the Sony works. I think the issue of using video and photo at the same time may be a question of semantics, because I don't think either camera can actually record video and photo at the same time.

i bought the Nikon aw1 its only rated for 50 ft though ,but the nice thing is it has interchangeable lenses ,i have not tried underwater yet but when i do ill share my results

You might want to get on the SB Sony forum to see what current users have to say about your understanding about how the Sony works. I think the issue of using video and photo at the same time may be a question of semantics, because I don't think either camera can actually record video and photo at the same time.

It is not semantics, they do record them at the same time. I went to the shop yesterday, I did with the rx100 m4... I will post the results when i manage to do a proper frame grab, but it works in the sense that the dual record has picture quality comparable to that of the regular 17MP picture. Now I wonder if it works also for the rx100 m2...

I strongly recommend you talk to Rob or any of the other divers at Backscatter.com to get their views of the Canon G7X vs the Sony line. They dive and sell both. They will give you a diver's perspective on the pros and cons of each, and I think will help you fine tune your requirements.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom