First day of cert.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wycacher

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Well, the day finally came to start my certification dives today! I feel it went really smooth. Crappy vis (<10') cold water- about 53 deg, and I had the time of my life! Ended up not using hood and gloves, and just used 7mm jumper. guess I can tolerate the cold pretty well. I can definitely say I'm hooked! Got to explore around 30' and see some fish after finishing task list. Tomorrow I will be done!

AWESOME!!! As you dive longer dives you will want to wear a hood and gloves. You may be able to tolerate the cold right now. But what happens if your fingers get numb? Are they numb because of the cold or because of DCS? Plus, you want your body to be warmer toward the end of the dive and not colder to aid in off gassing Nitrogen. I used white plasti-dip spray paint to the tips of my glove fingers to make it easier for my dive buddies to see my fingers when flashing hand signs and what not. Especially in murky water. Good luck and safe diving. Bruce

Congratulations. You describe conditions similar to those in which we train here, but our lake has warmed a little more. I think that you will find training in the conditions you are in has made you a good diver. When you hit 80 degree tropical waters with 80 feet of vis, try and remain calm!!!
DivemasterDennis

Congrats! I must say I don't know how you can dive with no hood in 53 degree water. I usually dive 58-60 degree water and I wear two hoods and gloves. Been thinking about going to a drysuit...anyway have fun and good luck with your final dives!

Back
Top Bottom