Question FIRST BONAIRE TRIP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just got back from Bonaire, water temp is always nice, most of our dives are 60+ minutes and usually start around 100ft tapering up along the reef and we rarely get cold. I wear a shortsleeve rashguard and some 3mm pants and boots just to protect my legs on entries and exits. Stony coral disease is on the island but they have a nice map showing the green, yellow and red sites. You should take care in rinsing gear if you have dove in a red listed site and are going to a green or yellow...or better still.. Just plan your dives to only progress from greens to reds. All sites at Slagbaai were closed for diving because there currently isn't any disease there and they want to keep it that way. I only had tanks in the truck but zero gear and they did a thorough search to make sure. I still had to leave the tanks and pick them up on the way back out of the park but I don't blame them. You can easily sort out weights on a buoyancy check where you get your tanks. I tend to use Dive Friends at Hamlet Oasis and the house reef "Cliff" is in the Red... It's not closed but there is a rinse protocol including inside your BC before you head out to a different site. We stayed on Kaya Stormvogel and even out of the winds abit, bugs weren't an issue on this trip... Except for one bastard of a scorpion that got my big toe while I was hanging up a rinsed BC at the house. We always pack in our gear but using a travel BC we can get everything in one carry on bag each. Regs, computer, prescription masks, BC etc... and some exposure wear. You won't need a ton of clothes, pack... Then take out about half of it and that's probably about right. Basically, don't sweat it... Bonaire is a laid back, easy going place, enjoy it. Do some dives, explore the island. Some great first dives are Salt Pier (also a good night dive) Alice in Wonderland, Something Special. Bari reef is a nice dive but currently closed due to construction..You'll love Bonaire. Grab a nice Burger at "Beer and Burgers" you'll thank me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom