First day with the new BC?! Just purchased my first back inflate BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just bought the new dragon by mares bcd, I learned in ocho rios where i got used to floating on my stomach there, I was having issues with floating on my back with this new one because I wanted to swim forward at the surface. Is it the jacket itself or the weights, I had 6lbs in the bottom and 10 lbs each side holder.
Also the pull arm for releasing the air seemed to give me trouble as well. Didnt want to release the air very easily. Any one else experience this or have any info regarding the this?

was using 14lbs in jamaica. with no suit on. Now I have the suit and fresh water so they recommend 26lbs

---------- Post added May 14th, 2012 at 08:19 AM ----------

I was using 14lbs in Jamaica, salt water vs fresh water, so here its recommeded I use 26lbs to compensate for the fresh water and wet suit. Not very comfortable, there I was able to float on my stomach and swim forward, this new bcd kept wanting to flip me on my back and I wasnt comfortable this way as I learned the other way. Im not sure if the dragon bcd is supposed to do this or it was a weight problem causing this.

Ah. Sounds like we have similar bouyancy needs. I'm guessing being up in CA your in a 6mil so 26lbs sounds in the ballpark. I'd do a neutral bouyancy check though so you know you need 26lbs rather then someone telling you that they think you need 26lbs.

Actually 7mm suit, I guess your right, I felt like my boyancy wasnt correct. Major problem I had with the dragon bcd was dumping my air while surfacing. didnt want to dump by pulling the hose. I had it checked and they said it worked fine before the dive.

I think I would try a little less weight in the ND pockets ,mine I only have 2 pounds total one in each one. It seems if you have to much you will be in a head down position all the time. I think you will enjoy it

Cheers
michael

Next dive I will try it. I have 2x10 pounds in two side compartments, and the lower back I have 2 x6 lbs
Not sure where I should take the weight off. underwater i was ok. its the surface. I think its possible the bcd design is to float on my back. I prefer to float on my stomach for swimming purposes. Im used to this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom